Can this be straightened with a frame machine?

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I hung a log in my FEL and bent the ATI Tach All aftermarket skid steer quick connect adapter. The main beam is about 3" angle iron that is bent and twisted. I can cut out the angle iron and replace it, but there are a lot of thick weld beads to grind and also would dictate having to fabricate other parts contained on the angle. My question is this. Before I start cutting out the bent beam, could a auto body shop with a hydraulic frame machine straighten this back out? Any hope of success?

I guess I am trying to avoid the many hours It will take me to dissect out the angle iron and replace it. This adapter cost about $800 so I need to repair it rather than buy a new one.

image-173865912.jpg

image-2425531352.jpg

image-35913391.jpg

image-4117353970.jpg

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #2  
If you have a log splitter, you might give that a try. I had bent up the rear blade for my tractor when it caught something in the ground. So I put a couple 20 inch long or so logs on the splitter perpendicular to the face and set the blade in between them with a couple of strategically placed wedges. I know you might say I have been watching a little too much Red Green, but it bent it back into shape like it was butter. In your case, you may want to try something square like a treated fence post or something and make up a little jig.

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #3  
G'day I would take it into a good engineering shop, a good bloke with a press should have that like new in under 1/2 hour then maybe just box the angle up to strengthen

Jon

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #4  
If it was my gear I'd cut & weld. Wouldn't hurt to use a tube section - square or round.
Idea banjodunn suggested about boxing it in is very good if you can get that angle straightened out.
I take pride in my ability to straighten twisted steel with heat, pry bars and a hammer, but that unit looks like a whole afternoon job.

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #5  
Carefully cutting, dissecting it and replacing the same angle iron piece, welding and reinforcing may be the best repair....straightening may be difficult due to the streching of the angle iron, but it could be done

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #6  
If you straighten it reinforce it some way, because things that bend tend to bend easier the 2nd time.

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #7  
That can be straightened real easy bring it to a fabrication shop I live to far away or I would straighten it out for you with one of my hydraulic precision electric presses would fix it for sure..

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #8  
A frame machine is not set up to be able to attach something loose like that to it, in such a way as you would need to be able to straighten it.

What you need is a press, and probably some heat.

Or, cut it off and replace it.

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine?
Thanks for the ideas! I agree that cutting and welding would be best, but I at least want to try straightening. Tolerances are not that tight, so if I can get it close, it should work. In studying this, here is what I am going to try. Tell me if I am delusional. The bottom holes on each side (right and left) are still perfect. That makes sense since the loader frame is massive, and it did not allow the bottom of the quick attach to bend. Also one of the top mounting pin brackets is also good as the good hydraulic cylinder held it in place. So really only one of the four corners is bent out of position, as one hydraulic cylinder bent, taking the bracket with it. So I am going to hook up both bottom sides with the standard pins. It should pin up easily back into the proper position. I am then going to disconnect the one good cylinder and replace it with a fixed piece of steel channel, or maybe even a chain. I will also plug the hydraulic ports on that side, disabling the cylinder flow. On the bad side, I will hook up a new cylinder to the bent, twisted corner, so it will be the only cylinder operating. Then I will slowly extend the cylinder and if this works, it will be pushed back into place. The other other three corners will be fixed in the original correct position, so the bent corner has to move. I think the loader frame is way too strong to bend or give, as the bent angle is much smaller and weaker. Of course, I may have to tweak it a little in other axis, but it's worth a shot. This gives me a way to hold it firmly while force is applied.

Another alternative I thought of was to use a bucket. I could lay it down on the ground, place the good side in the correct quick attach position and lock it down, and then try to push the bent side back into place towards the bucket, using hydraulics or some other force.

I will post my results later.

/ Can this be straightened with a frame machine? #10  
Self repair may prove costly. I would locate a fabrication shop and have them remove and replace the cross piece. You from what is posted now have a couple of problems that are about to become very major problems and more damage.