MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube

/ MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube #1  

imabass

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3020 Propane
Ok. I bought a ancient MF 50B Industrial backhoe off of ebay sight unseen. I did not pay much for it because I am sure that I can fix just about anything. Not 100% certain on the model # but it is a late 50's model.

here is what I know about it.
3 cyc Perkins diesel engine.
hydrostatic drive with L-N-H and 1-N-2 levers.
Hours: about a trillion. Unknown hours because the gauges do not work and probably have not worked in 30 years. The hoe looks like it has been used and abused.

What is wrong with it.
Oil pushing out the dipstick tube. This is caused from blowby on the rings. Oil is not filled with diesel so its not the pump seal. I also think this is related but there is a decent helping of smoke that comes from under the hood. It is exhaust gas so I assume it is what is being shoved out the vent. The air filter housing/pipe is not completely hooked up so I assume that many years of sucking dirt and many years of neglected maintenance has led to the sad state that it is currently in.

Question. I see some inexpensive in frame rebuild kits on ebay for $200 + shipping. Are they worth it? What is the big difference between the in frame kits and out of frame kits? I have a hot vat at home so I always prefer to vat a engine when I rebuild one. Vat and paint so future repairs are easier and hopefully cleaner.

In my shop that I rent... I found a box of pistons, rings, bearings and the side of the box was marked "MF" with sharpie and it has 3 diesel pistons. The rings and bearings are new, so I may already have a partial kit. It is missing the sleeves and most gaskets.

Injector pump leaks. It is an external seal. Is there a place to buy a rebuild kit for the injector pumps? I have converted all my gasoline engines (05 camry, 99 dodge ram, briggs generator, ranch king riding lawn mower) to run on propane. It is a **** of a lot cheaper than gasoline. I know that diesels like propane more so than gasoline engines due to the higher compression ratio. This is my first diesel so I am less knowledgeable with them. Can I fog the diesel engine and run 100% of propane? My initial thought is no since there is no spark plugs in the diesel and unless it is injected similar to the diesel, then it would simply predetonate when the compression was just enough. This was just an idea to circumvent the injector pump all together.

The rear brakes do not work. The pedal is stuck to the floor but does not engage the brakes. Where should I start?

/ MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube
Any source for online manual?

Is there a good source for new replacement hydraulic hoses. the local farm supply has hoses that are reasonably priced from $8+ but this thing needs 20 hoses replaced.

Its is a OLD hoe but I have small 5 acres and don't plan on using this thing hard. Just for small hobby stuff.

/ MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube #3  
Any source for online manual?

Is there a good source for new replacement hydraulic hoses. the local farm supply has hoses that are reasonably priced from $8+ but this thing needs 20 hoses replaced.

Its is a OLD hoe but I have small 5 acres and don't plan on using this thing hard. Just for small hobby stuff.
Hydraulic hoses= Surplus Center,,, https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

/ MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube #4  
Engine rebuild in or out? I think that would depend on wether you needed or wanted to do any crankshaft repair/polishing or main replace bearings. I don't know of any way to get a crankshaft out without a least splitting the tractor.

/ MF with Perkins 152 diesel. Smoke & Oil pushed out the dipstick tube #5  
I do know what is causing that problem it is a injector housing bleeding by it is common when injectors have been replaced or worked on it has nothing to do with a piston ring issue I've even worked on Durmax diesels in Chevy trucks with that issue!

I do know what is causing that problem it is a injector housing bleeding by it is common when injectors have been replaced or worked on it has nothing to do with a piston ring issue I've even worked on Durmax diesels in Chevy trucks with that issue!

I am interested to hear more. How does the injector housing bleeding cause the crankcase pressure? This old tractor has not likely been worked on in many years.

Where do I need to start? I know that the injector pump is leaking externally and I need to remove and reseal. Any idea where to get the seals to refurb the injector pump?

Engine rebuild in or out? I think that would depend on wether you needed or wanted to do any crankshaft repair/polishing or main replace bearings. I don't know of any way to get a crankshaft out without a least splitting the tractor.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.