John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #1  

albertcwfj

Tractor
JD 5425
Hi,
Does anyone know where to get the gears for a John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter? I sheared the output gear. I would prefer new, but would take a salvage part. Two independently owned dealerships says the part has been discontinued, and that I must spend ~$1,600 to upgrade the entire gear box and stump jumper to the HX7 setup. Is this possible to repair the old gear? Is their an exact replacement in a different brand? I have also heard that gears are always replaced in pairs. Is this true and why?
Thank you for your help,
Jesse

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #2  
Dealers could be correct about gear sets no longer available. I think the gear boxes were made in Spain and now are made in China. There was an earlier thread you might want to seach for about using a Bush Hog gear box sourced from Surplus Center on a JD MX6 cutter that blew the gear box.

I too have heard certain gears must be replaced as sets. Axle ring and pinions come to mind. The why? I think they are machined or lapped or run as set before hardening, but not sure.

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #3  
Zebrafive said:
Dealers could be correct about gear sets no longer available. I think the gear boxes were made in Spain and now are made in China. There was an earlier thread you might want to seach for about using a Bush Hog gear box sourced from Surplus Center on a JD MX6 cutter that blew the gear box.

I too have heard certain gears must be replaced as sets. Axle ring and pinions come to mind. The why? I think they are machined or lapped or run as set before hardening, but not sure.

Yup, ended up swapping mine to the china made gearbox... Who woulda thought that was an upgrade?

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #4  
   / John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #5  
These MX fubar posts are making me Sooooo glad it was tails and I got the woods Brushbull!

Surplus center should have a gear box tha canbe adapted for far less $$

Surplus Center - 1:1.05 GEARBOX BUSH HOG 3209 ROTARY CUTTER

Be careful to notice that the output shaft is 2.35" dia and Bushhog dealer for me wasn't willing to order a replacement bar . for the knives. Also shipping equals the cost of gear box.
Have a low use MX6 and gear box looks good less the out put shaft made of a low grade metal
I purchased a replacement Bush hog cheaper than the MX6 gearbox parts.
ken

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #6  
Do you have the gear box with the broken shaft ?

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #8  
Just to update, my nonprofit employer's Chinese MX7 threw a lower shaft last fall. Appeared to be a bad shaft casting.

JD says order a new Chinese gear box because the parts for the Chinese gear box don't fit in the Chinese gear box right lol. I am switching to Woods if I can swing the cost as a nonprofit. 3" shaft for less than JD's 2" shaft.

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #9  
Just to update, my nonprofit employer's Chinese MX7 threw a lower shaft last fall. Appeared to be a bad shaft casting.

JD says order a new Chinese gear box because the parts for the Chinese gear box don't fit in the Chinese gear box right lol. I am switching to Woods if I can swing the cost as a nonprofit. 3" shaft for less than JD's 2" shaft.

What Woods do you want? Reason I ask is:
Woods BrushBull comes in 3 sizes, 5',6' and 7' Also three "grades" light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty.
What PTO HP does their tractor have?

/ John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts #10  
Probably 6' Medium Duty which has the 3" shaft vs the JD 2 shaft. Would like the 7' but it is another $1,500-$1,800. I have a IH 574 (55 HP) that is weak. Also have a MF 65 (45HP). The 6' gives them a rough time.

But as a Nonprofit, We get a CaseIH 75C or 110C every year for 6 mo. for $1 via a CaseIh program. I prefer the 110 because it is more stable on hills.