Tractor
    JD 5425

Default John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts

Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get the gears for a John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter? I sheared the output gear. I would prefer new, but would take a salvage part. Two independently owned dealerships says the part has been discontinued, and that I must spend ~$1,600 to upgrade the entire gear box and stump jumper to the HX7 setup. Is this possible to repair the old gear? Is their an exact replacement in a different brand? I have also heard that gears are always replaced in pairs. Is this true and why?
    Thank you for your help,
    Jesse

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Default Re: John Deere MX7 Rotary Cutter Gears or Replacement Parts

Dealers could be correct about gear sets no longer available. I think the gear boxes were made in Spain and now are made in China. There was an earlier thread you might want to seach for about using a Bush Hog gear box sourced from Surplus Center on a JD MX6 cutter that blew the gear box.

I too have heard certain gears must be replaced as sets. Axle ring and pinions come to mind. The why? I think they are machined or lapped or run as set before hardening, but not sure.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    New Holland T5070

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive
    Dealers could be correct about gear sets no longer available. I think the gear boxes were made in Spain and now are made in China. There was an earlier thread you might want to seach for about using a Bush Hog gear box sourced from Surplus Center on a JD MX6 cutter that blew the gear box.

I too have heard certain gears must be replaced as sets. Axle ring and pinions come to mind. The why? I think they are machined or lapped or run as set before hardening, but not sure.
    Yup, ended up swapping mine to the china made gearbox... Who woulda thought that was an upgrade?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -
    Benjamin Franklin

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ljohnson778 View Post
    Yup, ended up swapping mine to the china made gearbox... Who woulda thought that was an upgrade?

These MX fubar posts are making me Sooooo glad it was tails and I got the woods Brushbull!

Surplus center should have a gear box tha canbe adapted for far less $$

Surplus Center - 1:1.05 GEARBOX BUSH HOG 3209 ROTARY CUTTER

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    These MX fubar posts are making me Sooooo glad it was tails and I got the woods Brushbull!

Surplus center should have a gear box tha canbe adapted for far less $$

Surplus Center - 1:1.05 GEARBOX BUSH HOG 3209 ROTARY CUTTER
    Be careful to notice that the output shaft is 2.35" dia and Bushhog dealer for me wasn't willing to order a replacement bar . for the knives. Also shipping equals the cost of gear box.
    Have a low use MX6 and gear box looks good less the out put shaft made of a low grade metal
    I purchased a replacement Bush hog cheaper than the MX6 gearbox parts.
    ken