Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #1  

jonh

I have a 2007 Ranger 4x4 700 efi. The fuel guage no longer works, it always shows empty. I took it to the dealer and he said the "float" must have a leak in it because it stays at the bottom. WHen asked how much it cost to fix he said it can't be fixed and that I would have to buy a new fuel tank. The new tank costs $400. There must be some way to fix this float and I am looking for suggestions.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #2  
Not familiar with the Ranger pickup, but most vehicles the fuel sender is part of the fuel pump, not the fuel tank. The quoted price sounds about right for a fuel pump installed. Some vehicles the sending unit is available seperatly from the fuel pump, call the parts department and inquire.

I know from the years I spent with Chrysler in the shop about half the time we had to replace the pump module instead of just the sending unit as there would be continuity problems between the connector to the pump module and the sender.

Ken

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #3  
I think OP meant a Ranger UTV, not truck.
I would try another dealer and if the same answer tear into it my self and see what I find.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #4  
Something doesn't sound right because they don't likely mold the tank with the sensor in place. I assume the tank is roto-molded plastic. If that is the process, pieces are attached to the outside of the mold, the plastic powder is in the heated rotating mold and ends up with the bits molded into the plastic. Then holes are machined in the plastic for things like e sending unit. If that is the case you should see the sending unit as a somewhat round piece of metal secured to 6 to 8 bolts threaded into a flange in the molded plastic. If this is the case, you can pull the sending unit and examine the float. Floats I have seen in the past years are solid but made of a very light material. I have seen a sending unit installed clocked to the wrong hole set in the flange. This caused the float to wear against the tank and being of light material, resulted in enough wear so the float wouldn't float anymore. My Ranger is older than yours and I am away from home so I can't check it now.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #5  
It appears that the pump/sender is only available as an assembly. Part Number: 2520864 at a cost of $441. You may want to take it apart yourself and see if it is as simple as a broken wire.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #6  
Ahh, I don't mess with UTV's much and didn't catch that's what he has. Polaris (I'm again prsuming what he has) has an online parts catalog on their website that should answer his question as to what's available. You have to sign up to use it, but that's no big deal.

Ken

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage #7  
The float could also have a leak. You may be able to rig a replacement.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage
Thanks for the advice. The sensor is not molded into the tank. Its held in place by bolts. I will check it out and also call another dealer.

/ Ranger 4x4 700 efi fuel guage
Thanks Ken. Its the first time I have "chatted" and I didn't do a good job in the description. You are right the unit is a Polaris UTV