kubota 185 wont start

/ kubota 185 wont start
yes that is exactly right. the cable is still connected from the negative battery to the frame of the tractor. but apparently is not making a good ground. is just enough to get a good read but it drops to 0 on a load test.

/ kubota 185 wont start #22  
yes that is exactly right. the cable is still connected from the negative battery to the frame of the tractor. but apparently is not making a good ground. is just enough to get a good read but it drops to 0 on a load test.

Excellent! You are only minutes from running again, and at little or nothing out of pocket. I like those outcomes.

/ kubota 185 wont start #23  
so if you load test from bat positive to bat negative and it tests good.. but test from bat positive to chassis and it is -0-.. then the connection from bat to chassis is bad at one of the ends or the cable...

this culd be a sand paper and grease fix.. or a cut and re-end the cable fix.. etc. both cheap and easy..

/ kubota 185 wont start #24  
If my memory serves me correctly the negative cable attaches to the battery tray on that machine. So you will want to be sure those mating surfaces are clean along with where the battery tray attaches to the frame. I have used the load test method many times to isolate problems like yours.

Brian

/ kubota 185 wont start
ok I got an update......It runs again. Took the battery tray off. had 4 bolts that hold it on. took the wirewheel to both surfaces and the bolts. put it all back together and its all good. in fact it starts easier then it ever has. thanks for all the help everyone.:drink:

/ kubota 185 wont start #26  
Glad you got it going. Also glad you were able to grasp the concept of using the load tester to narrow it down, not a lot of people would have. It also sounds like just cleaning where the ground cable connected to the battery box would not have solved your problem either. So good deal all around. :-D

/ kubota 185 wont start #27  
you can actually do the same with a volt meter too, looking for voltage drop.

as for the bat grounding to to a piece of sheet metal connected to chassis. I'm not a fan of that. some fords did that. most of us hit the steering box vs the bat box on some older ones.. and sometimes a helper wire right down to the starter mount bolt itself.