HELP 1970 cav injector pump

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #1  

chasminicozzi

Tractor
working on a 4500 ford 3 cyl used it a month ago everything was fine. now it has no fuel thru the pump it uses a cable linkage to kill the fuel and shut off the engine . the linkage and butterfly on the pump moves easily but still no fuel .. is there anything i can do short of pulling the unit ?

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #2  
Did it start and run at first and then die out? Or it just wouldn't start at all?
Those pumps were used on many different motors and seem to be very reliable.

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump
it wouldn't start at all .. The tractor has always started so easy when it failed to i assumed i had let it run low on fuel so i put 5 gal in and went into bleed the system mode, that's when i figured out it had fuel all the way to the injector lines, i put a hot battery on it and cranked still no fuel . thinking it has to be in that kill assembly.

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #4  
In September I was using my 68 Ford 2000 3-cyl with the CAV diesel injection pump and same scenario. I was using it during the day and no problems. I parked it and shut it off. Then a couple of hours later it wouldn't start. It was a bit low on fuel but not out and I had driven over a couple of steep hills so I thought I might have gotten air in the system. But I did drive it to the house and shut it off with the cable there. ???
No fuel at the injectors when I tried to bleed it. I bled the housing of the pump at the bleed screw and at the top screw on the housing and still no fuel at the injectors when I crank it. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the system again and still no fuel to the injectors.
Sounds similar to your situation. Any Luck?
Thanks,
Ken

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #5  
In September I was using my 68 Ford 2000 3-cyl with the CAV diesel injection pump and same scenario. I was using it during the day and no problems. I parked it and shut it off. Then a couple of hours later it wouldn't start. It was a bit low on fuel but not out and I had driven over a couple of steep hills so I thought I might have gotten air in the system. But I did drive it to the house and shut it off with the cable there. ???
No fuel at the injectors when I tried to bleed it. I bled the housing of the pump at the bleed screw and at the top screw on the housing and still no fuel at the injectors when I crank it. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the system again and still no fuel to the injectors.
Sounds similar to your situation. Any Luck?
Thanks,
Ken

You don't start bleeding at the injectors. you start at the fuel filter, proceed to the pum andthen go to the injectors. Here's ageneral method for bleed a diesel fuel system. make sure you have fuel at the fuel filter inlet. Sometimes the strainer on the tank valve gets clogged with crap and corruption.

Bleeding a Diesel Fuel System

Start at the fuel outlet of the tank (inlet to the filter). Shut the tank valve, remove the line at the filter inlet and holding a suitable container to catch the diesel fuel, open the valve. You should have a CONTINUOUS rush/flow of fuel out of the line. If it dribbles or is intermittent, check the fuel cap for a blockage of the fuel vent or the strainer upstream of the valve for clogging. The strainer/screen is attached to the shut-off valve, and is positioned up inside the tank. You will have to drain the tank and pull the valve to clean the screen.
If you have good fuel flow at that point, reconnect the line and open the bleeder screw at the top of the filter. Turn on the tank valve and wait till you have a steady flow of fuel with no bubbles at the top of the filter, then close the bleeder screw.
Your pump may have a bleeder screw. If so, open that until fuel streams out with no bubbles, then close it. If you cannot identify the bleeder screw, loosen the inlet connection at the pump and purge air at that point.
Go back and make sure ALL the fittings in the fuel delivery system are tight so they cannot suck air.
Make sure the battery is fully charged. Loosen the fuel fittings at the injectors, either one at a time or all at once. Crank the engine till you see all fuel at the injector fittings and then tighten the fittings. If you do indvidual fittings, the engine will usually start before you get to the last fitting.
Alternatively, you can "tow-start" it to save wear and tear on your starter. Leave the injector lines cracked open at the injectors at first to purge the lines. Then tighten them up and she should start.
Your injection pump puts out a very small amount of fuel (high pressure/low volume). BE PATIENT. If the lines are totally empty, it takes a lot of cranking to fill them up.
sixbales & Jerry/MT

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #6  
The pump should have a fuel transfer pump on it, I am not familiar with the system you have, the only FORD tractor I worked on had a fuel transfer pump on the front side, of the cam with a priming lever.
I have a Furukawa loader with a Yanmar engine it was hard to start and had a very poor filtration system the transfer pump was junk, I installed an electric pump and a primary and secondary filtration system from a Detroit, slightly overkill. Now when I turn it on the pump starts, wait 2 seconds then start it right up.

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #7  
did you ever solve your problem? I have the same tractor and the same problem iam getting plenty of fuel to the pump its pumping out the bleeder screw and thru the return line but not a drop at the injectors i have a feeling that its a problem with the shut off being stuck or broken in the off position can any one help

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #8  
hi did you ever solve this problem i have the same tractor and exact same problem i feel its in the shut off switch what was your problem and how did you fix it? thanks alexmt

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #9  
can anyone give me some help with a cav fuel injection pump not getting fuel to the injectors but has plenty of fuel to the pump and pumping out the bleeder screw and return lines but not a drop at the injectors i feel something is wrong with the shut off switch thanks to anyone who solve a problem like this

/ HELP 1970 cav injector pump #10  
Metering valve in the pumpcover stuck in the shutoff position.
Did the engine ref up a little and then die ? Water in the pump ? Open the window and catch all the fuel coming out and check for water !

Last edited: