1953 Ford Jubilee

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #11  
DId you think about ice ,you are up here with me in the north country , I know my 8N 's are prone to condensation . Just putting that out there , sometimes it's the simple that stumps us the most. :D

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #12  
Why wouldn't just stepping on the clutch cause the engine to be released?

good observation... but..... what'd that get ya? nada.

engine is FORCEFULLY bound in 2 gears. it did so with engine turning regular direction. spin it a hair backwards and regain that super small bit of clearance that let it eek into 2 gears in the first place.

it's bound up on the front end.. not the rear end ..

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #13  
DId you think about ice ,you are up here with me in the north country , I know my 8N 's are prone to condensation . Just putting that out there , sometimes it's the simple that stumps us the most. :D

i've seen ice in a 740 hyd sump stop the hyds up.. and ice in the front pedistal make it near impossible to steer.. but it did steer :)

those 2 issues saved me a few hundred $ as the seller said the hyds worked and steered good. after I drove a couple states to get it it had no hyds and hard steering.. on a front pedistal that is super hard to get parts for.. I didn't have time to wait till spring thaw to see if it was ice or badly timed breakage. we both decided on a some discount and went.

by the time I got home hyds worked and steering was good.

I got lucky. I've had many I brought home that were not so easy.. :)

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #14  
When you jacked up the rear ,did you lift both tires off ,if yes ,did they turn in the same direction.

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #15  
good observation... but..... what'd that get ya? nada.

engine is FORCEFULLY bound in 2 gears. it did so with engine turning regular direction. spin it a hair backwards and regain that super small bit of clearance that let it eek into 2 gears in the first place.

it's bound up on the front end.. not the rear end ..

May be I misunderstood you. Is the engine holding the gears in mesh or are the gears themselves somehow bound up and you propose "unbinding" them turning the crankshaft ? You should be able to also turn the pto shaft backwards to unbind the tranny IF it has the tranmission driven pto.

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #16  
That's where I was going next, use a rachect strap to pull-in clutch, try and move the gears on the syncro-shaft. It's gotta be stuck in between 2 or more gears to be locked-up. Or possibly a carrier bearing seized up, on the shaft. How did the gear oil look? Clear or milky?

Shadow

/ 1953 Ford Jubilee #17  
May be I misunderstood you. Is the engine holding the gears in mesh or are the gears themselves somehow bound up and you propose "unbinding" them turning the crankshaft ? You should be able to also turn the pto shaft backwards to unbind the tranny IF it has the tranmission driven pto.

if it is bound in 2 gears, the gears are locking the trans solid. IE with 2 different ranges in selection, it can't turn.

turing the crak backwards lets you east it back to that small window where there was enough play to actually slip it into the 2nd gear while still in the first.

I believe it will be more efficient to do that than try to do anything with the rear of the tranny and the pto shaft. I'm not saying you can't help unjimmy it from the pto.. or the rear wheels for that matter.. but it bound up on the froont easing into 2 non compatible ranges, and then the engine pushed on it.. unpushing on the engine side seems to be the 'closer' approach to the actual problem.

in reality.. there will be lots of cussing, prying. asome luck and twisting and pulling to get them apart.

i'll bet on luck any day :)