leveling arm assemble

/ leveling arm assemble #1  

wilsonfarm09

Tractor
massef fergson grah
can threads be repared or replaced on left side of leveling arm assembly on massey ferguson 175 it is the female therads

/ leveling arm assemble #2  
The approach to fix would depend on how badly boogered the threads are.

If it were me, I'd take the part to an old timey welding shop I know that also has all sorts of fabrication tools, including the ability to cut threads, including drilling and tapping. They would clearly be able to do the job. Probably be about $35, half hour work, and do it while u wait.

Failing that, you could purchase a properly sized tap and see if you can do it yourself....cost would be a little pricey for a tap of that size, one time use.

failing that, investigate getting a replacement part from a used tractor parts place...I've found numerous on the net, don't have their links just now, Google is your friend!

Maybe a call to local MF dealer, ask if the part can be ordered.

last option, what about installing a hydraulic tilt, which replaces the part a different way.

A photo might give other ideas...hope this helps.

/ leveling arm assemble #3  
An I.D. & O.D. Thread file might take care of those burred-up threads. Available in standard inch & metric pitches. Available at most auto-parts stores, Sears, etc. I can't tell you how many times a thread file has saved me!
Shadow

/ leveling arm assemble #4  
I agree that it just depends on how bad they are.

A picture is worth a thousand words here.

/ leveling arm assemble #5  
Another method of repair may be to have it tapped out oversize then install a "helicoil" insert to bring it back to the original size.

A "helicoil" insert has the benefit of being stronger and more wear resistant than the parent metal""

/ leveling arm assemble #6  
Another method of repair may be to have it tapped out oversize then install a "helicoil" insert to bring it back to the original size.

A "helicoil" insert has the benefit of being stronger and more wear resistant than the parent metal""

That's a great suggestion. You can get HeliCoil thread repair kits at an auto supply store or eBay.

/ leveling arm assemble #7  
I agree that "heli-coils" are a great way to repair threads, but in a size large enough for an adjustable side link, they are not likey cost effective. If they are outside a normal automotive size they are quite spendy. I recently bought a kit to repair the drain plug threads in a transmission 20mm x 1.25, the normal price for that kit w/o the drill bit is well over $300, I got it for $260 plus I still had to buy the $40 drill bit.

Brian

/ leveling arm assemble #8  
Wow....I was thinking that that size heil-coil might be a bit pricey, but that's beyond pricey, only to be done as last resort, as you did, avoiding even more pricey repair. This is what I love about TBN, there is often someone who has first hand experience with something and shares it, making me smarter...or at least more informed:D

I agree that "heli-coils" are a great way to repair threads, but in a size large enough for an adjustable side link, they are not likey cost effective. If they are outside a normal automotive size they are quite spendy. I recently bought a kit to repair the drain plug threads in a transmission 20mm x 1.25, the normal price for that kit w/o the drill bit is well over $300, I got it for $260 plus I still had to buy the $40 drill bit.

Brian

/ leveling arm assemble #9  
Thanks for your post. Not having heard of a thread file, I started looking into it. Decided I just couldn't live without it and here is what I have ordered.

Craftsman 48 pc. SAE & Metric Thread Restorer Kit - Tools - Mechanics & Auto Tools - Automotive Specialty Tools

An I.D. & O.D. Thread file might take care of those burred-up threads. Available in standard inch & metric pitches. Available at most auto-parts stores, Sears, etc. I can't tell you how many times a thread file has saved me!
Shadow