Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C??????

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #1  

rkelner

Tractor
Yanmar 2210D, International C, Allis Chalmers B
Due to being in below freezing temps for ~ 5 months a year I am looking for a engine block heater for my 1948 Farmall C. Google search does not return one for water jacket. Block Heater connected to radiator hoses will not work because inlet hose is only 4" and outlet hose is 5" in length. Is a engine block heater available? If so any recommendations? How about something called "Heat Houser"? [Listed in sales ad for Farmall Tractor but no description] Thanx!

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #2  
Should be one available. Measure one of your core hole (freeze) plug openings and that is the size you're needing. There are also some available that fit in place of the block drain plug, but they are usually a smaller watt rating and take longer to heat up the coolant than a core hole plug heater.

Ken

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C??????
Ken thanx a million for the info. Not sure if you will see this reply. But I am a book/computer worm and inherited the tractor from my Dad so on my own. Can you describe core hole (freeze) plug openings appearance or location. Also is block drain plug what directly drains the radiator? I don't see any other plug on the engine block other than the oil drain plug. THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #4  
Maybe it's too early, but trying to remember the location of the capillary sending unit, for the temp gauge is on my Super C's w/C-123 engine, and thread size. The link below shows a 400 watt, w/1/2" npt. It would be the 5th one down on the right. Price is $40.80.

Being your's is a '48 model, and probably has the C-113, not even sure if they had a temp sending unit. Just thought I'd put this out there, just in case.

Tractor Parts, Tractor Manuals, Engine Kits - Aftermarket Heavy Duty Parts - Search

DJ54

Thanx for info. To my Knowledge there is no capillary sending unit or temp gauge for this C-113 engine. But once done eating my breakfast will go look. THANX!!!!!!!!

Ron

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #6  
Freeze out plugs are located in the back of the block, behind the flywheel, inside the clutch housing. So don't think that type will work.

As far as the drain pipe plug, probably a bad place too, as a LOT of sediment settles there.

They do make one's other than the one in the link I posted, that attaches to the oil pan. Some were magnetic, and one I found attaches to any material an oil pan would be made of, including aluminum, so not sure how, other than adhesive, they attach.

Actually, I've never had a problem with any of mine starting in cold weather. As long as it's tuned up good, and strong battery, they've fired right up. You may need to change to a lighter weight oil for winter operation per the OP manual. Give it a few minutes to warm up, and you're good to go.

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #7  
rkelner,

Admittedly this is low tech- my Dad used to have 2 tractors, 1950 C and 1960 200, that he needed almost every day. As others have mentioned, he always switched over to winter oil (10-10W) in the late fall. His "trick" to start right up on those below zero mornings was to make a 'tent' out of an old horse blanket over the hood reaching the ground on each side. He then had a 75-100W bulb on in there overnight. When needed to plow those early AM snowfalls, they always started.

Good luck.

Frank

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #8  
Freeze out plugs are located in the back of the block, behind the flywheel, inside the clutch housing. So don't think that type will work.

As far as the drain pipe plug, probably a bad place too, as a LOT of sediment settles there.

Sorry for the bad information. Haven't been around a C in several years, but thought it had core plugs on the side of the block, along with the ones in the bellhousing area. Didn't remember the block drain plug being in the end of a tube, but dad sold his C about 15 years ago, and probably 20 years since I did much hands-on on it.

Ken

Greetings Ken:

Thanx for the reply. I think a engine block heater for a 1948 Farmall C is a challenge because of the way it was built. The drain for the radiator is a 6" tube and the hoses are < 5" in length so no go there. I will try and look for freeze plugs or core plugs on the engine and if find any hopefully one is easily accessiable.

Ron

/ Is there a engine block heater available for 1948 Farmall C?????? #10  
Get a pad type oil pan heater. These are used on small airplanes a lot. They also make them to warm batteries also. I had one that was glued onto the pan with a type of silicone but I think there are magnetic ones also. Mine worked great, had a thermostat embedded in it.