Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work??

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #1  

lowandslow1

Tractor
John Deere 1530 Diesel
Anyone have experience with repairing metal fuel tanks? What worked or didn't work. My JD diesel has a 19+ gal metal fuel tank that leaks down low at a seam (stops leaking with 5 gal remaining. The tank is two pieces of stamped metal that is (my guess, brazed) together. Just pulled it out of the machine and was going to clean it up after it had finished draining the remaining fuel out of it so I could get a better idea of the scope of the leak. Thanks. AH

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #2  
They make an epoxy putty for leaking gas/fuel tanks. Check any auto parts store,

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #4  
Red-Kote tank liner.
I made gas tanks from 100lb and 20 lb propane tanks and coated the bare steel with the treatment and 10+ years going outdoors.
I have repaired very rusty snowmobile tanks with it also.
auto value in my town sells it.
comes in a quart can. pour it in and roll the can around in all directions to coat the entire inside of the tank and drain out the excess back into can.
let it dry outside.
a second coat can be added if needed.
(prep. work required)
cleaning the tank with detergent, rinse, let it dry, shake a chain or gravel inside to remove heavy rust.
clean and let dry again.
coat the tank.
very durable coating.
http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #5  
Red-Kote tank liner.
I made gas tanks from 100lb and 20 lb propane tanks and coated the bare steel with the treatment and 10+ years going outdoors.
I have repaired very rusty snowmobile tanks with it also.
auto value in my town sells it.
comes in a quart can. pour it in and roll the can around in all directions to coat the entire inside of the tank and drain out the excess back into can.
let it dry outside.
a second coat can be added if needed.
(prep. work required)
cleaning the tank with detergent, rinse, let it dry, shake a chain or gravel inside to remove heavy rust.
clean and let dry again.
coat the tank.
very durable coating.
http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf

I read the info on the link you provided and was thinking about trying it on a diesel tank that has a verry small pin hole in it. But then I read not to use it with biodiesel.
Bill

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #8  
I read the info on the link you provided and was thinking about trying it on a diesel tank that has a verry small pin hole in it. But then I read not to use it with biodiesel.
Bill

I see the note.
I am not using bio-diesel in my tractor.
It seems just fine with the diesel i've been using. no discoloration in the fuel that i see and the filter bowl is clear.

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work?? #9  
G'day if it is leaking on the seam then give it a good clean and solder it up, most steel tanks are silver soldered not brazed, I have sealed a few up witha heavy iron and some 50/50 solder

Jon

/ Metal Fuel Tank Repairs that Work??
Thanks for the info! After looking at some different manufacturers I just ordered KBS Auto Tank Sealant, they said it works with diesel tanks as well. They have a nice video on how to repair a leaking fuel tank. I'll also do a solder repair on the joint as Banjodunn mentioned. I have used Kreem before and had some issues with it (fiberglass tank and ethanol). Probably operator error. I'll give a report on how the repair went. Thanks again.