TC40 Hydralics

/ TC40 Hydralics #1  

lcfd8

Tractor
New Holland TC-40
Looking to get a valve for my NH TC40 to operate a power angle power rake. Was wondering if I could do it using the hydraulics from the backhoe?? Any ideas???

Thanks

Randy

/ TC40 Hydralics #2  
Randy, what brand of backhoe do you have and how does its hydraulics hook up? If the backhoe has two hoses that connect together when it is removed, then those two hoses can be hooked to your power angle control valve that is an open center valve. You can mount that control valve in your choice of location and attach its outputs to the power rake. If your backhoe runs from a remote valve, all you have to do is remove its quick connects and connect hoses to the rake. Now, if your backhoe has its own pump and runs off your PTO, then you'll need to do considerably more plumbing. Please give us some additional details.

/ TC40 Hydralics
Jim, thanks for the quick reply... It is a NH 758 backhoe, I understand that I can do it with the hoses but what kind of valve will I need to mount??

Randy

/ TC40 Hydralics #4  
Randy, your tractor's main pump is 9.8 gpm. However, 0.8 gpm is used to operate the PTO, so the maximum flow you could have is 9 gpm. Since you are only going to operate a cylinder on your rake, it doesn't take a lot of flow to do that, but your valve has to be big enough to allow the full flow of the system. Because of that, I'd recommend you go with this valve from Surplus Center. It exceeds your needed flow requirements (that's good) and can be plumbed so it has quick connect hoses to attache to the backhoe lines and quick connects also on the outlet to your rake. Frankly, you'll probably pay more for hoses, fittings, and quick connects than the price of this valve. You'll need to use 1/2" hoses on the input side from the backhoe fittings and can use 1/4 hose on the outlet since you don't need a lot of flow to a hydraulic cylinder. You have to maintain the full flow on the inlet side so the rest of the system (3PH) has full flow if needed. That's because of the system being open center.

For a little more money, you could easily put on multiple valves in case you want to add additional circuits at a later time. If I were adding one remote, I'd go ahead and do this 3-gang setup. Your inlet hoses will be the same and you can leave valves not needed plugged or install quick connects for future needs. It won't cost that much more and you'll be set for anything you'll ever need. You might decide to add Top-n-Tilt to your 3PH or a grapple on your loader. Nobody ever complains about having too many remote hydraulic valves.

Just so you know, there is a factory remote you could add to your tractor, but it's cost would be around $785. It would not require the attachment of the backhoe hoses and has a lever designed for your tractor with hydraulic lines and quick connects included in the kit. It's a very elegant setup, but a bit on the expensive side.

/ TC40 Hydralics
Hi Jim, I have finally bought my Power rake.... I will be trying to get this set up soon, will probably be buying the valve you recommended soon. Going to have to get some help from a local mechanic to assist me as I am not very good at this stuff. Will keep you informed. Again thank you for the help

Randy