new holland tc 1030

/ new holland tc 1030 #1  

barresi

Tractor
new holland tc 1030
our tractor shuts off when shifted out of neutral into either low or high gear. there are no visible relays signalling the issue. are there hidden relays within? or is there anyone who has had a similar issue that could shed some light on it?

/ new holland tc 1030
This seat safety switch was bypassed by the previous owner and everything worked fine until recently when some other work was done to replace some wiring that was fried. The friend we have working on it can build a tractor with his eyes closed and for some reason he is scratching his head at this. Is there perhaps a maximum number of times you can over-ride or bypass safety switches?

/ new holland tc 1030 #4  
If there was some fried wiring, there's your answer. Somewhere in there you have a safety module triggering from a short in a switch probably. Just because you bypassed the safety switch doesn't mean that there's not a problem in the wiring before it. That's where I would start looking.

/ new holland tc 1030 #5  
The friend we have working on it can build a tractor with his eyes closed and for some reason he is scratching his head at this. Is there perhaps a maximum number of times you can over-ride or bypass safety switches?

Tell your friend to open his eyes and get an ohmeter to ring out the wires for continuity through the seat switch. I have a bypassed seat switch and now & then my tractor will die for seemingly no reason or won't start. I just pull my jumper with spade connectors out of the switch connector and clean them before re-inserting. Everything works after that.

. . . and the maximum number of times you can start a tractor with the seat switch bypassed is determined by your age divided into the number of miles to the planet Neptune multiplied by the square root of the number representing the national debt clock's tic at midnight this year. When you exceed that number, OSHA will arrive in helicopters and black SUVs, dressed in flak jackets and carrying cans of silly string to totally humiliate you.:laughing:

/ new holland tc 1030 #6  
I'll say the same as Jinman. My 1030 did the same thing shortly after I got it. I jumpered the seat switch and everything is fine since then. This way the tractor thinks there is always someone sitting in it.

/ new holland tc 1030 #7  
This seat safety switch was bypassed by the previous owner and everything worked fine until recently when some other work was done to replace some wiring that was fried. The friend we have working on it can build a tractor with his eyes closed and for some reason he is scratching his head at this. Is there perhaps a maximum number of times you can over-ride or bypass safety switches?

The whole part about other wiring being fried is what has me thinking that there's a bigger issue here. Wiring around that switch is great....but if there's other wiring issues, I'm willing to bet that will be part of the problem. Any fried wires never seem to be completely localized. There always seems to be some collateral damage unfortunately.

Instead of the just focusing in on the switch, I think that we need to look at the seat switch circuit as a whole unfortunately. :thumbdown: