Tractor
    John Deere 214

Default john deere 214

Hi

First time on this site. I hope that I can obtain information in rectifying ignition problems. I had bought a john deere 214 garden tractor. It was 2nd hand. Six years ago the engine quit. I was surprised that this engine lasted for 30 years. I cannot say anything bad about the Kohler products. Unfortunately I could not find another 12 hp kohler engine. To make the long story short I replaced with a Briggs v16 engine. This tractor is being used for snow plowing. When I installed this engine I re-hooked the same ignition system from the Kohler engine. Never had any problems until now. The problem is that when switching the engine off the engine keeps running. I can't stop the engine. I suspect it is a grounding problem. I have spent the last 2 hours viewing a hundred diagrams to locate where the ground wire should be. It should be simple but I am just lost for words. It would appreciated that some can help me out.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: john deere 214

Murph ------------

Tractor
    and i just got a 580 c case backhoe real good shape got another kubota 2100 .. 2 - 684 IH 2 -8 N Ford had B275 IH MF # 50 work bull MF 35 all redone 65 mf 1750 kabota

take a look at the carb see if it has a wire on it . then with a test light see if power is going to it with the key off ..thats what shuts them down now not the spark good luck
    JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 850, L130, 317

The Kohler used a 12v ignition wire to the coil. the briggs uses a ground to the magneto only. Go to the Briggs site and look up a manual for your engine. It should point you to the correct wire to ground. You will need to change the ignition switch on the 214 to a grounding type for the engine off to work.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    International 424

Quote Originally Posted by BATTY54 View Post
    The Kohler used a 12v ignition wire to the coil. the briggs uses a ground to the magneto only. Go to the Briggs site and look up a manual for your engine. It should point you to the correct wire to ground. You will need to change the ignition switch on the 214 to a grounding type for the engine off to work.
    He is absolutely right. Two different types of engine systems. if your not careful you will put 12 volt positive to the coil on the Briggs and burn it up. You can configure a new switch to work with the Briggs engine.