john deere 214

/ john deere 214 #1  

icy

Tractor
John Deere 214
Hi

First time on this site. I hope that I can obtain information in rectifying ignition problems. I had bought a john deere 214 garden tractor. It was 2nd hand. Six years ago the engine quit. I was surprised that this engine lasted for 30 years. I cannot say anything bad about the Kohler products. Unfortunately I could not find another 12 hp kohler engine. To make the long story short I replaced with a Briggs v16 engine. This tractor is being used for snow plowing. When I installed this engine I re-hooked the same ignition system from the Kohler engine. Never had any problems until now. The problem is that when switching the engine off the engine keeps running. I can't stop the engine. I suspect it is a grounding problem. I have spent the last 2 hours viewing a hundred diagrams to locate where the ground wire should be. It should be simple but I am just lost for words. It would appreciated that some can help me out.

/ john deere 214 #2  
:welcome:

/ john deere 214 #3  
take a look at the carb see if it has a wire on it . then with a test light see if power is going to it with the key off ..thats what shuts them down now not the spark good luck

/ john deere 214 #4  
The Kohler used a 12v ignition wire to the coil. the briggs uses a ground to the magneto only. Go to the Briggs site and look up a manual for your engine. It should point you to the correct wire to ground. You will need to change the ignition switch on the 214 to a grounding type for the engine off to work.

/ john deere 214 #5  
The Kohler used a 12v ignition wire to the coil. the briggs uses a ground to the magneto only. Go to the Briggs site and look up a manual for your engine. It should point you to the correct wire to ground. You will need to change the ignition switch on the 214 to a grounding type for the engine off to work.

He is absolutely right. Two different types of engine systems. if your not careful you will put 12 volt positive to the coil on the Briggs and burn it up. You can configure a new switch to work with the Briggs engine.