International 574 wont start?

/ International 574 wont start? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
I have a 574 that will crank for a few seconds then the starter will stop cranking and whistle. In the past it has done this but charging the battery would solve it. This time when I tried to start it the battery would barely crank it. I tried to charge the battery but no dice. So I replaced it with a big industrial battery. Got home installed the battery and got the same thing with it cranking for a few seconds then whine. The heater was plugged in so the starter shouldn't have a lot of resistance. Block is slightly warm to the touch. I put the charger on the battery I will clean the connections and give it another shot in the morning. Anything I am missing? The starter was rebuilt two years ago but has not been used much since.

/ International 574 wont start?
Well, noticed the head was cold as the outside temp. Checked the coolant and it was a gallon low, That is really unusual so I toped it back off and will watch for leaks. This thing is starting to worry me.

/ International 574 wont start? #3  
I have a 574 that will crank for a few seconds then the starter will stop cranking and whistle. In the past it has done this but charging the battery would solve it. This time when I tried to start it the battery would barely crank it. I tried to charge the battery but no dice. So I replaced it with a big industrial battery. Got home installed the battery and got the same thing with it cranking for a few seconds then whine. The heater was plugged in so the starter shouldn't have a lot of resistance. Block is slightly warm to the touch. I put the charger on the battery I will clean the connections and give it another shot in the morning. Anything I am missing? The starter was rebuilt two years ago but has not been used much since.

Have you checked your battery connections? Do you need to shim your starter?If your cables are in bad shape,this could happen.

Replaced the cables when the starter was rebuilt, I cleaned the connections a bit ago and no better. I think tomorrow I have another new hot lead I will swap onto it and clean everything good. This battery is new and shouldn't be an issue. I put it on a charger just in case.

Spent a little more time on it in the 20 deg weather, starting to lean towards a starter problem. Shame, I paid 80.00 last time to get this thing working. Maybee I should have bought a new one.

/ International 574 wont start? #6  

If you starter is cranking and then stops cranking and is making a whiring noise and the engine is not cranking over, the starter drive is most likely the problem. Try using jumpers from the battery to the starter and see if that makes any difference. If it does, the cables are the problem.

If it doesn't you'll have to remove the starter and check out the drive. Extend the drive gear and place a block of wood in to trap the drive gear. Then, using jumpers from the battery to the starter engage the starter. If the starter doesn't move and you hear a huming sound, the drive is good. Do this several times because you say that it turns the engine and then stops. If the drive is bad, you'll hear a whirring noise as the drive slips. if that's the case, replace the drive.

Some times the solenoid contacts get crudded up an burned and have a high reistance. Disassemble the solenoid and see if you can clean the contacts.

I have had to replacethe solenoid 2 times before. I had forgotten about it. I will give it a shot. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. see where I end up. The whining noise is hard to describe. it is not the same sound as when a bendix gets weak and the started dosent enguage. this is more of a bomb is going to xplode whine. Like you hear in rhw movies. The starter is definately still enguaged when it stops turning. to me it is like a weak starter. it has the pwer to enguage and turn a bit but not to keep turning it. I just gotta figure out why.

/ International 574 wont start? #8  
I would look to see where the cooling fluid is leaking. If its getting into a cylinder that would cause a liquid lock and stop the engine from cranking
and the whistle would be the pressure bleeding off. just my .02

/ International 574 wont start? #9  
I have had to replacethe solenoid 2 times before. I had forgotten about it. I will give it a shot. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. see where I end up. The whining noise is hard to describe. it is not the same sound as when a bendix gets weak and the started dosent enguage. this is more of a bomb is going to xplode whine. Like you hear in rhw movies. The starter is definately still enguaged when it stops turning. to me it is like a weak starter. it has the pwer to enguage and turn a bit but not to keep turning it. I just gotta figure out why.

Check the brushes in the starter and clean up the commutator, too.

Went out this morning and it fired right up. But later this evening no dice but it seems to. Be cranking pretty good but it craps out quickly. Still can't find the water leak. I lost about a quart overnight. But attribute some of that to air. My exhaust is dry. But that coolant has to be going somewhere.