Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse

/ Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse #1  

LisaHorn

Tractor
Snapper LT2042
Hi all -

New poster/user here - fairly lacking in knowledge, but am a quick learner. I have a Snapper LT2042 lawn tractor, about 4 years old that I use to both mow and plow snow off the driveway. For the most part, it's been reliable and easy to maintain - until yesterday. After our big snow the other night I went out to do the driveway - was going fine 'til I got almost to the end of the driveway when as I was trying to back up, it decided not to move any more - reverse or forward. I checked the neutral pin - pulled it out to neutral and back in to drive, but that didn't do anything. So worried that it's some terrible transmission problem - sad to say it is a K46 sealed transmission which I've noted has not been universally loved on this forum.

Any other thoughts on what to check/do to troubleshoot before I call the guys to come pick it up (at $60/pop)

Thanks so much!
Lisa

/ Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse #2  
I would ask what the cost to repair the transmisson would be before calling for pick up. You may find you can purchase a new machine for a couple hundred more than pick up, delivery and repair cost.

/ Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse #3  
The transaxle is belt driven. Could be the belt is slipping or broken. Should not be an expensive fix.

/ Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse #4  
Check the drive belt, Idler pulley, drive pulley, etc first. Could also be broken tensioner spring for the Idler.

/ Snapper LT2042 won't move forward or reverse #5  
I've fixed two snapper mowers where the bolt that holds and spins the wheel broke....and the wheel stayed on.
Pull the plastic caps off of the center of the wheels and make sure that the bolts are intact. Could be a $0.45 fix. :)