Painting an Oliver 1855

/ Painting an Oliver 1855 #1  

jerry shannon

Silver Member
Tractor
oliver 1855 Diesel, Bobcat 863F skidsteer, john deere 855
I have restored an 1974 Oliver 1855 to very good running condition. I do not want to show this tractor in shows, or events but want to paint it up using the proper paint colors. Meadow Green and Clover White. My question is,
has anyone had any luck with painting a tractor piece by piece using spray paint rather than a spray gun. My tin is all in good shape and I will blast it and sand it and prime it but can I get a decent look by using spray cans of the approved paint color? Just curious.

/ Painting an Oliver 1855 #2  
I would expect either a spray paint can or a spray gun to do just fine, depending on the person doing it. If done properly, you won't be able to tell any difference. I've done a fair amount of painting with both, but not on a tractor. But I did spend a bit of time on a diesel Oliver 1855 cutting and baling hay.:D The owner thought it was a 1972 model; had about 5k hours on it when he bought it. It wasn't the prettiest tractor I ever saw, but it sure was a good workhorse.

/ Painting an Oliver 1855 #3  
Yes, you can do a perfect job using a rattle can. Have you ever used the automotive grade paint? It will give you a near perfect finish if done correctly and look professionally done. I have seen people paint their collector cars with a rattle can and have a perfect finish. The Oliver green paint code is DuPont 019 or 030 or TISCO TP220 and the Oliver white paint is just white paint.

/ Painting an Oliver 1855
Thank you everyone. I am now optimistic reading your comments. First,, yes the 1855 is a workhorse. More tractor than I need but the price was right, I knew the farm it came off of and it had been given a complete rebuild to remedy the original shortcomings of the powerplant. Runs and sounds great. Mike R, thank you for the Dupont colors for the Oliver colors. The white is not a white but almost matches up with a Rust Oleum color called Almond White. It is a off white for what ever that is worth. It is a 1974 unit. I also purchased a complete decal kit to replace all the logos and stickers. Will top it off with a straight pipe of either chrome or black. Have not decided yet which one. Any opinions? Thank again guys.

Thanks Bird. My baby looks a little rough but not a dent in any of the sheet metal. Just faded, some light rust on rub points and dirt. I have a Steam heat power washer that will clean it up great. Will send pics for a starting point and finish job. Thanks.

/ Painting an Oliver 1855 #6  
Hi Jerry Were did you get your decal kit and what was the cost? Spray cans work ok, but it is hard to keep a wet edge when painting large panels. A good automotive paint is much easier to apply, and will last a long time. Stay away from the farm store tractor paints, they fade and will crack over time. I was wondering if you can get a high heat paint for the engine, in a spray can? Or will a good automotive paint stand up to the heat?
Mine needs paint also, so keep posting on your progress, it will help to motivate me.:D

Dave

I got my decals from "Oliver Decals/Dumont Museum". The decal kit for all body, frame and badges was $150.00 and the kit for all the Dashboard decals was another $50.00. They are vinal decals.
As for painting the engine, I was wondering the same thing you were. I was not thinking of spraying the engine and block. I was going to brush it Thought I would get the proper paint, and then get the engine warm but not hot for good adheasion. I like the look of the wiring and some parts in their non painted state. Again, I am not putting this into a parade but still would like to have "Her" spruced up. A good engine enamel with a brush should give a good smooth look if I am careful and using a brush I can be a little more "strategic" than taping and spraying everything.

I will have to check out what the can says on the Oliver paint I picked up. I think it is an automotive style or type of paint in the correct color for my model. I only picked up a couple of cans of each of the Meadow Green and Clover White( cream or pecan colored) to try on some of the small side panels to see what kind of gloss, sheen I can put on it. At $10.00 per can I think I just paid for the name Oliver. Reminds me of my Harley Road Glide. If it says HD on it,,, it means 100 dollars right off the bat. :) Funny,,thing is I still buy the parts. Doing my part to keep the economy alive in Michigan.

/ Painting an Oliver 1855 #9  
I happened to look back at some of my old records and darned if the Oliver 1855 I used wasn't a 1974 model instead of 1972 as I stated earlier. The Texas dealer my neighbor got it from, in September, 1995, said it came from Minnesota, and in the 7 years I was acquainted with it, he only had 2 problems. One was that he didn't know it had calcium in the rear tires until one sprung a leak when he punctured a pencil sized hole in it. With a steady stream coming out, he pulled up to my shop door. It was 2 years before the grass came back where that danged calcium leaked out on it.:laughing: And he eventually replaced the rear wheels because of the corrosion that stuff causes.

I don't know all the correct terminology, but the engine was coupled to the rest of the driveline with a chain that looked like a huge double bicycle chain. When that chain broke, he learned that the motor mounts sometimes have to be adjusted to keep the proper alignment. But the engine, transmission, 3-point hitch never caused a problem.

Oh, that reminds me. The first really cold day that first Winter, he went out and started it to take some hay to the cattle, and with the engine running, it wouldn't move. He left it running while he went in the house to call the dealer. The dealer told him that sounded normal, and sure enough, by the time he got back outside, everything worked fine.:laughing:

Right on Bird! My 1855 tires are also loaded with Calcium right now and I was warned that if I need to add air be sure to have the valve stem at the top and if I sring a leak to move the tractor till the hole is at the top. Makes sense. That chain you refer to was just replaced on my unit and just this weekend, I swear it, I started the tractor and it would go forward but you could not hardly turn the steering wheel. I let it sit for about 5 minutes to warm up and all was fine. You were right on target.