When to replace an air filter

/ When to replace an air filter #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
On my tractor, I have a large canister air filter. Plastic housing with a suction guage. I was told by a number of local farmers to blow out and re-use, which I have. Summers are dusty, winters are wet and muddy. I blow the filter out, it looks quite clean, and back it goes. but when do you replace?

Carl

/ When to replace an air filter #2  
Your manual should tell you, mine says once per year and also give instructions not to blow out with pressure exceeding a certain limit. Some brands may say to change after a certain number of cleanings or hours used.

Some owners say not to even blow it out, but rather just knock the loose debris, I prefer to go by my manual; don't know if that helps.

/ When to replace an air filter #3  
some are washable.. and some have fine inners.

all depends..

/ When to replace an air filter
Saddly the manufacturer of my tractor really has no manuals. I am just following the advice of local farmers. Not washable, not sure on the makeup other than looking like paper.

/ When to replace an air filter #5  
Most air filters get replaced prematurely, people see dirt on the edge of the pleats and they think its full when really you can open up an air filter and lay out quite a few feet of media. I'd say if its starting to register vacuum or restriction on your gauge thats when I'd probably replace it. Im sure there is a go/no go area on the gauge right?