Frustrated with myself and tractor.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #1  

karmakat

Tractor
750 john deere
I have no experience with my own tractor. I bought it shortly after buying farm. Had help at time,tractor did a great job. Help did not...lol. Now i am a fulltime student with hopes of being mostly self sufficient,but can not get it started.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #3  
Welcome to the forum. Is the battery dead, fuel turned on, saftey switchs functioning right.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #4  
:welcome:Hi from Arizona. Not sure about your brand but mine you have to step on the brake pedal before it will start? Maybe something as simple as that check your owners manual? Good luck.:thumbsup:

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #5  
Yep, do a check list of things like what does it do, not do; does it spin the engine, just click, not even click, lights come on, checked the battery, fuel shutoff etc. With a little information maybe someone can help you; won't start covers a LOT of possibilities.

Good luck

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #6  
Welcome neighbor.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #7  
Welcome You will get it started. Just provide more information and you will get help.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #8  
nothing to add. But I can recap...
type of tractor?
dash lights come on?
does starter turn the motor?
Any ignition at all?
Choke on?
clutch pedal down and foot on brake?
If diesel, glow plug light come on?
Fuel in fuel bowl?
When in doubt, recharge your battery so it gets a good spin to start.
etc, etc.

There's a dance you do in starting and everyone here does it, you just have to figure out what makes your girl tick.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #9  
Checking tractordata.com for a 750 JD comes up with a tractor built in the 80's with gear shift. Suggestions -

Make sure the tractor has fuel and a hot battery.

Sitting in the operators seat depress the clutch, shift the main gear lever to neutral. Continue depressing the clutch and turn the key on. Not sure if the key starts the tractor or you have to press a starter button. Advance throttle to about half. Diesels have glow plugs to aid in starting. Turn the key just enough to engage power to the glow plugs. On that old of a tractor I would count to about 10 if you have a hot battery. Then turn the key to the start position.

If everything is in working order it should start. May run rough until it warms up a bit. I would let it idle a few minutes before using.

John Deere 750 Starting Instructions | eHow.com