84" Farm King Snow blower

/ 84" Farm King Snow blower #1  

Buffitz45

Tractor
1999 JD 6410 and 1967 JD 4020
Just bought a new Farm KIng (or Allied) Snow blower and am assembling it. Having difficulty installing the pto shaft onto the gear box shaft. It slides on easily but when the key is in the keyway it just won't slide on and without taking the u joint assembly apart there is not room to do much tapping with a chisel etc. Any ideas? I tried grinding down the end of the key a bit to make it easier to get started but no go and have greased both components.

/ 84" Farm King Snow blower #2  
Just bought a new Farm KIng (or Allied) Snow blower and am assembling it. Having difficulty installing the pto shaft onto the gear box shaft. It slides on easily but when the key is in the keyway it just won't slide on and without taking the u joint assembly apart there is not room to do much tapping with a chisel etc. Any ideas? I tried grinding down the end of the key a bit to make it easier to get started but no go and have greased both components.

i kinda confused. I had a 60" farm king blower, and on my unit, the lower section of the PTO shaft was attached permanently to the gear box. Only the upper section slid back and forth. Mine didnt have a key. it had a permanent groove on the gear box spline and a groove on the shaft. they must be making them differently now days.

/ 84" Farm King Snow blower #3  
Make sure the key way is clean then lightly tap the key in the groove. If the shaft still won't slide on take a flat file and file the top down some an round the top edges just a little.