Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning?

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #1  

nuke

Bronze Member
The tractor starts, but the belt is squealing since the fan is not turning. I cannot spin the fan by hand, what's wrong? Can I free it up somehow or is this a BIG problem?

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #2  
It is likely a big problem, or going to cause one, if you try to run the tractor for very long. Almost certainly, the trouble is the water pump has seized due to corrosion, so is not spinning while the engine turns. Obviously, without a functional water pump, the tractor will rapidly overheat, with severe damage imminent.

The water pump can be rebuilt or replaced; I have done both on some of my tractors.

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning?
It is likely a big problem, or going to cause one, if you try to run the tractor for very long. Almost certainly, the trouble is the water pump has seized due to corrosion, so is not spinning while the engine turns. Obviously, without a functional water pump, the tractor will rapidly overheat, with severe damage imminent.

The water pump can be rebuilt or replaced; I have done both on some of my tractors.

Thanks for the reply!

I went out later and the fan was free so I started it and it worked. I filled the radiator with water and water wetter to keep it cool this summer and I think it was frozen. I flushed the radiator and filled it with anti-freeze so I think its good.

I think I'm subliminally trying to blow this thing up so I can justify the BIG purchase of a new tractor.

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #4  
yep.. sounds like something wasn't winterized.

better check that block!

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #5  
Ah, thats not good. Hopefully that was the least of your issues, if not the block might be cracked among other things.

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #6  
I was mistaken in my prediction; I hadn't considered the entire cooling system freezing solid! I would strongly second Soundguy's admonition to check the block. I would invest the 45 minutes or so to check all the freeze plugs, including under the valve cover and behind the starter (if applicable) and inspecting closely everywhere else, too, for cracks. I would also be religious about checking the oil level, to ensure water isn't making it into the crankcase.

Sell your 1210 for cheap while it still runs, disclose the hazards, and buy something new! :D

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning?
I checked it over and ran it for a couple of hours after it started, all is good. We haven't seen cold weather yet, just a couple of nights around 30 degrees with day time warm ups. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

/ Ford 1210 starts but fan not turning? #8  
hopefully you dodged a projectile.. ;)