Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues #1  

BuckeyeWilly

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
I retired in November so decided a good winter project would be to give the Kubota a complete overhaul. 5 years of hard work had her lookin pretty bad. All the lights on the back end where busted up so I bought a set to replace the broken ones. These are the ones that bolt onto the rops.

The new light had only one black wire so I connected the black wire from the tractor to the black wire on the light and ground the red wire to the bolt of the light and it worked fine so I bolted it to the rops and nothing. No turn signal and then the blinkers on the console even quit working. I checked the fuses and they are fine. I even change them around . Nothing!!

I have no power to any of the lights on the back. I checked the 50 amp breaker also and it seems fine. I guess my question is "is there an inline fuse going to the tail lights that I don't know about? Any ideas?

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues #2  
Actually red is power. black goes to ground. In the dc world with light bulbs it really doesnt matter which way the wire is hooked up for on and off . chances are the grounding is bad. Also I dont think those double amber lights on 50 amp - it most likely 20 amps fuse at the block. Did you try the hazard switch and left and right signal to see if the amber light works or not?

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues
I am going to head over to my dealer tomorrow and talk to them and get some new fuses. I looked at all of them and they look fine. The hazards don't work either. Thinking about the ground, I did put a nice new coat of paint on the rops. That may be why they didn't work when I bolted them down, I may have to bare the metal there ??

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues #4  
I can just about guarantee you it is the ground. get a good ground and I bet they will all work.

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues #5  
take a piece of wire about 4ft long or so with ends stripped an inch or so. clamp one end on the battery with vise grips and take the other end and touch the black wire on lights. leave red wire on lights hooked up to power. If it works - you need to solve your grounding issue. start checking where black wire exit lights and trace to make sure it is ok. again -chances are you got a bad ground.

OK guys, still no lights. I went to my kubota dealer and talked to them. There are no other fuses other than those in the fuse panel. I also bought the regular replacement lamps for the BX24 at $36 each. Came home replaced all the fuses and mounted the new light and wired it up. No good. radioman, I tried the piece of wire from the battery to the black wire - no go.

I still go back to the signal lamps that light up and blink on the dash. Since this happened these lights have also not worked which still makes me think its a power issue, but what do I know. These would light up as soon as you turned the key on. I have no idea what to try next.

/ Kubota BX24 Tail Light Issues #7  
Just a guess....how about the switch on the dash. Maybe it is defective or just loose.

oldballs, I took a look under the dash at the underside of the switch. Can't see anything loose. Is this something I could change out or would it be better to let the dealership handle it? Has anybody ever changed one? Thanks guys for all the responses. What a great site. I made sure I told my dealership about tractorbynet and all the great advice that can be found.

Short update. Found it was easy to pop out the switch. Everything looks fine but I am going to take it over to the dealership on Monday to see if they can test it. I have both tail lights mounted now so I again tried attaching a short piece of wire from the battery to one of the black wires on the light with no success.

The switch checked out just fine at the dealership today. I asked them what else it might be and the mechanic said it must be a bad wire somewhere. OK, I am thinking since the lights on the console aren't working that the bad wire or connection would be between the fuse panel and the console. Would this be correct or is my thinking flawed? What is the best way to find a bad wire?