cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da

/ cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da #1  

addiction

Tractor
New Holland
I have a New Holland TC33da that had a broken rear PTO when I bought it. I did some research and it seemed like it would just be a few gears to replace. I split the tractor and took the rear end to a New Holland dealer/repair shop and they just called and told me that the case is cracked in three places and they suggest that I replace it.

The said that they have seen welding repair cracks in the past but since there are three cracks and one is the thin section supporting a bearing they would not recommend welding it. A new one they tell me is $2400.

Anyone have any ideas other than the ones the shop has, which is basically buy a new case and gears....

/ cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da #2  
I woud try to find a used one. I would only weld it as a last resort.
Bill

/ cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da #3  
I would suggest trying to find a used one also. Welding cast is a tricky thing and often it doesn't turn out all that well. If it's in a bearing area, that brings all sorts of distortion etc into question.....especially if it's at a section that would need line bored.

/ cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da #4  
Replace w used probably 500 for the whole rear end.

/ cracked rear case on New Holland TC33da #8  
Pictures of what you have to work with are always good.

I have recent welding experience on just such a tractor. (transfer case bell housing, )
It's not hard to weld with Stainless rod but it is vital you add some steel structure to hold the repair together; or it certainly won't be as strong as the original, in which case you are advised to go with a new part. The weld has good fill characteristics, but the bond where it mates the cast is not much better then epoxy glue. You can build up your welds, grind and build up a web or fill areas to make the repair more substantial. The stainless is nice because when you grind it down you can see the bright metal finish in contrast to the porous casting (pronounced 'Poor Us' casting)

I have faith in my repair only because I literally clamped the casting together with 1/2" steel plates. In place of the spacers you currently have between the bell housing and quick detach front bucket support arms, I made custom plates that are attached to each other. Strongly recommend this same modification if you have a Backhoe or work the front bucket hard.