engaging starter

/ engaging starter #11  
if no click, then check for power supply, bad connection of some sort. elect. connection corrosion is a big problem in fla. you said you replaced solenoid. i'm not familiar with your tractor. just general troubleshooting, like i was told here. "work cheap to expensive, easy to hard."

/ engaging starter #12  
Check all the battery terminal connections and ground connections. The start circut runs thru the clutch pedal
switch and the PTO switch. If your getting 12 volt to the solenoid and its not engaging the starter, could be
solenoid or starter. If you run 12 volts to the small wire on the solenoid (by passing all systems) it should crank
over, if not look at starter/solenoid or cables and grounds. If it does crank, problem would be between key switch to solenoid.
Some of those units have Plastic Housing Ignition switches and they go bad easily.

/ engaging starter
:thumbsup:Thanks for all the replies , I've found out that I always have 12v at f terminal with key and that sometimes don't have 12v even when the solenoid engages , I've taken the starter off and took off cover and cleaned the motor armachure and contacts , put it back together and OK so far , don't know why it wasn't getting 12v on the out side of the solenoid when it was engaged but there wasn't , going to try this and replace starter/solinoid combo if it's not OK now . they've got one on ebay for $60 Thanks for all your help !!!!

/ engaging starter #14  
I have a little J.D STX 38 that did the same thing , fought it for a couple years . After reading various web sites , I found the solution. These machines have so many saftey switches that current has to go through .If that starter does not get ALL 12 volts , it will not engage . The solution is a simple relay from surplus center , about 5 bucks . Brad on MTF explains the installation nicely . Very simple , cheap , does not bypass any safety's , and 100% effective . Hope this helps .

/ engaging starter
Thanks for the reply kevin , What's MTF and you got a website or a little better direction so I can find this relay info I also check it today after taking it aprt and cleaning the starter some and hasn't happened yet , not going to do anything else yet but would like to look at the relay

/ engaging starter #16  
Google My Tractor Forum . com Do a search on STX-38 starter improvement . I would get the link for you , but I'm not real good at that stuff . Hope this helps .

/ engaging starter #17  
phonefixer , I tried that search and it did'nt work .I then went to JD forum , searched STX-38, scrolled through threads and found it .It is STX - 38 starter prolem fix .Lots of pics and details . Good luck . BTW, this is on My Tractor Forum . com . Hope i did not confuse you .