engaging starter

/ engaging starter #1  

phonfixerupper

Tractor
cub cadet 2135
Hi First time posting . I have a cub cadet 2135 , having a problem with starter ,when turning key to start position the starter doesn't always engage thought it was a solenoid problem and replaced it but still have problem . I have 12v at solenoid when turning key and a good battery , when shorting across battery and f terminal it always turns over, is there something I can test between key and solenoid , voltage regulator ? , turning key off and on sometimes after 7 or 8 tries will engage . Any ideas Thanks for any help Larry

/ engaging starter #2  
You could remove the wire on the starter solenoid that gets 12 volts from the key switch and probe it with a test light to be sure that it gets 12v every time when you turn the key to the start position. A test light would be better than a voltmeter because you need to be sure that enough amps are getting to the solenoid to operate it. A handheld voltmeter may show that it is getting 12 volts, but that could be just a tiny trickle of current- not enough to actuate the solenoid.

/ engaging starter #3  
Is there power on the motor wire when the solenoid is engaged? Sounds like the solenoid isnt shutting completely. If you have 12v at the solenoid and the solenoid clicks everytime you turn the key than its nothing 'upstream' from there. Maybe the starter isnt shimmed correctly and the solenoid cant throw the drive deep enough into the flywheel to allow the contacts to touch. Sounds like whatever your problem is solenoid related.

/ engaging starter #4  
:welcome:

/ engaging starter
I'll give that a try , haven't got a 12v light today , have always just checked with a meter , as soon as I get an opertunity will check with a light , like I said it doesn't always happen , but it's annoying when it does

/ engaging starter #6  
sounds to me like a poor connection of a wire. Could be anywhere in the system, at the ignition, or the starter, or anyplace in between.

/ engaging starter
OK . I'm not a mechanic . I've got 12v at solenoid hotwire from battery and 12v when key is engaged at terminal wire. Which is the motor wire , on the 2135 the solenoid is mounted directly to the starter , ground comes off the solenoid and goes directly to the starter , also as far as the shims It is the original starter haven't changed that .

/ engaging starter
can you give me a rundown on the path of the ignition key thru starter , is there a voltage regulator involved that could be causing a problem , I figured if I was getting 12v at the solenoid terminal it was good from key to starter if it always happened it would be easier to trace

/ engaging starter #9  
When you turn the key and it doesn't engage the starter, does the solenoid click?

/ engaging starter
I'll check that when I get a chance , you don't hear that when the engines turning over , I beleive there is a click but not sure it's the solenoid , I'll get back to you on that cold and getting dark in Md. If it's not clicking [meaning the solenoid is engaging ? ] Then what ?