New Holland TC40D Won't turn over

/ New Holland TC40D Won't turn over #1  

Coyote1955

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have a 2002 New Holland TC40D with 360 hours on it. I just replaced the battery. All of the lights light strong but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. The lights don't pull down so I don't think it's a starter problem. Of course when I called the local dealer that I bought the tractor from new, they weren't much help......didn't even want to come out and look at it.....I would have paid the going rates.....guess that's what happens when a big corporate outfit takes over the local dealers. Any help would be appreciated.

/ New Holland TC40D Won't turn over #2  
See if you're getting power to the (I think it's pink) wire at the starter solenoid. Could be one of two things.
1. bad ignition switch which these tractors can be known for.
2. bad neutral, PTO, or seat safety switch.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, I would start by testing the ignition switch. If it's not, the sticky on the New Holland forum here has a way to setup a relay that works great. My tractor starts better, and doesn't melt ignition switches anymore.

Another test is juggling some of the levers while holding the key in the start position. This can sometimes tell you if something is out of adjustment etc.

/ New Holland TC40D Won't turn over
Thanks for your help. The problem was a blown fuse under the dash and grandkids playing on a tractor....They had engaged the PTO lever and it's cold here now so when I disengaged it the switch was froze.

/ New Holland TC40D Won't turn over #4  
Perfect!!! It's those cheap and easy fixes that we all love to find!

/ New Holland TC40D Won't turn over #5  
Make sure you teach those kids once and for all time not to play with your stuff or else they will show you how to hurt or kill themselves with YOUR stuff. If they run it on a high slope side hill they may show YOU how to roll it over. Then what are you gonna think ? What other machinery around there would like to kill them ?