trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor

/ trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor #1  

RobertH

Tractor
JD 401B
Hi all,

I am hoping some parts guru can help me get a positive ID on this carb off my recently-acquired JD 401 tractor. I think the inlet valve was sticking, occasionally it would send so much fuel through that the engine would stall. Rapping on the carb with the proverbial screwdriver handle fixed it last time....so I figured it was time to pull it and give it a clean.

My. Quite a museum collection in the inlet filter sock. Bits of beetles and flakes of paint and rust, hair and who knows what. Rust in the bowl. The jets look undamaged. I would like to get a rebuild kit anyway. The ID tag is missing. On the underside of the upper half, the roof of the bowl, the numbers 227 458 are visible. On the mating surface of the bottom half : A320.

I am attaching pics of the parts and a closer view of the jets. I have searched the net for MS rebuild kits, some of them have some of the parts in mine but
I can't find one that has both small jets (idle and economiser). Any suggestions appreciated....thanks.

Rob
IMG_7076.JPGIMG_7075.jpg

/ trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor #2  
According to the John Deere parts site, the 401 used a MARVEL-SCHEBLER NO. TSX-905.

Pretty easy to double check for yourself. Go to John Deere @ Agricultural Parts JohnDeere.com

Select parts in top menu on the page that appears. Enter your model number (401), and check the exact model box. Parts & assemblies are listed in alphabetical order.

/ trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor #3  
   / trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor
DJ, thanks for the tips. My searches had focussed on the carb itself as opposed to the tractor make...which is another obvious route. A check of the JD parts pages indicates that the carb that is on the tractor now is not the original for my make and model; the original was apparently a MS TSX 945 SL. Rebuild kits for this carb do not have the same jets , nozzles etc that are in the carb I have in hand. So I guess I am still looking for that elusive ID of what I actually have. Once started, the tractor runs fine with this carburetor.

Rob

/ trying to ID this Marvell-Schebler Carburettor #5  
Try www .robertscarb repair . com .He knows the JD carbs .