Tractor Plates Massey

/ Tractor Plates Massey
Thanks Mike, this is very confusing, I dont want to scrap them if I can get rid of them legally but dont want to do anything outside of the law with them. If i have a gold mine I dont want to throw it away. Where did you buy your replacement plate from and does it have to be on a tractor of a certain age to be outside of the law?

/ Tractor Plates Massey #12  
You said there are 41 different type plates with a large number of each type. You said they likely came from the Massey Coventry plant at which he worked but you didn't state for certain that they were labeled Massey. Are they Massey plates or are they generic serial number plates? It would seem that if the plates were controlled the plant would have held them in a secure place and destroyed them when the facility closed. I have had blank plates given out as souvenirs when a company changed hands and new plates with the new company came into being, but that was 30 years ago. It is likely the old plates you have are just that - souvenirs. They can be used by people doing restorations. I have a 1929 Case CC for which I would love to have a new plate as the original is faded to where only the stamped numbers are legible.

/ Tractor Plates Massey
These are Massey plates and have the name on, they have the rivet holes and all have a part number on the bottom, I dont think they are souveniers.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #14  
Thanks Mike, this is very confusing, I dont want to scrap them if I can get rid of them legally but dont want to do anything outside of the law with them. If i have a gold mine I dont want to throw it away. Where did you buy your replacement plate from and does it have to be on a tractor of a certain age to be outside of the law?

I got my plate for my 1945 Case Sc from Steiner Tractor Parts. I don't know about the age limit.

I look at it this way...

If you have them either they are stolen or given away as a souvenir. If the company wanted to get rid of them they wouldn't have tossed them in the trash but would have melted them down so they couldn't be used again.

I guess it is like possessing illegal firearms. Yes people have them and yes they are illegal but they got it from somewhere.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #15  
I am NOT going to argue law with you, Since I'm sure your a lawyer but I've seen plates sold at tractor and auto meets. I'm talking old plates not on the dash.

Don't remember ever saying I was a lawyer, I was just telling some of the US Government regulations we had to operate under (at least through Dec 2011). The original poster asked advice, which I gave, same as you. Really no concern of mine what anyone else does as long as it doesn't affect me.

Ken