Tractor Plates Massey

/ Tractor Plates Massey #1  

tractordj

Tractor
none
Hi,

I do not own a tractor but need some advice from the experts on here. I recently lost my grandfather and going through his belongings (in his shed) we discovered a large quantity of blank serial/vin/oecd plates but to name a few. There were 41 different plates with large quantities of each. I live in the uk by the way and know my grandfather used to work at the coventry MF site so assume they came from there either when he worked there or when the site was closed.

Anyway, I have no idea what to do with these plates but assume he was holding onto them for some reason. Am I holding onto basically scrap aluminium or are these things worth anything to anyone and is it even legal to own them or sell them?

Any advice given will be appreciated.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #2  
:welcome:

/ Tractor Plates Massey #3  
Welcome to the forum.

I think they are worth something to collectors who want a period accurate plate on their tractor. Also for it to be original.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #4  
Welcome from Oklahoma. Not sure about the UK, but in the US it is illegal for an individual be in possesion of unstamped manufacturer VIN plates. Speaking hypothetically, I would destroy them (as in melting down to a blob) and sell them as scrap. If recognizable could have some bad consequences.

Ken

/ Tractor Plates Massey #6  
Welcome from Oklahoma. Not sure about the UK, but in the US it is illegal for an individual be in possesion of unstamped manufacturer VIN plates. Speaking hypothetically, I would destroy them (as in melting down to a blob) and sell them as scrap. If recognizable could have some bad consequences.

Ken

You sure about that? There's people that sell those a swap meets.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #7  
Yes I am sure. I cannot state individual stautes, but after over 30 years in the automotive/motorcycle business I can state that the OEMs would not sell a blank VIN plate, or a sticker with the VIN, to an individual. For automobile manufactured before VIN plates were mandated to be placed on the top of the instrument panel there was a procedure to order a restamped VIM plate, but it was an ordeal. Even getting the rosebud rivets for the plate requires a great deal of effort.

The reasons we were given were that if you had a blank VIN plate you could restamp, you could put whatever you wanted to legally own a stolen vehicle. I know I'm talking automobiles here, and the OP was asking about tractors, but the concept (and laws) are the same. The manufacturer's assigned serial number is what identifies an item, whether it's a truck, tractor, or television. Even if you want to replace the faded, damaged VIN plate on your own vehicle, due to the possiblity of fraud it is illegal to remove one VIN plate and put a different one in it's place, even if you have restamped it.

I haven't noticed any dealers selling replacement VIN plates at swap meets for several years, but if they are I'm all for them getting busted for it. I'd hate to have one of my tractors, trucks, motorcycles or televisions stolen and not be able to identify it because someone was able to easily change the VIN/serial number plate.

Ken

/ Tractor Plates Massey #8  
I am NOT going to argue law with you, Since I'm sure your a lawyer but I've seen plates sold at tractor and auto meets. I'm talking old plates not on the dash.

/ Tractor Plates Massey
Thanks all for your advice, looks like if the laws the same this side of the pond, I need to scrap these out to stop them getting into the wrong peoples hands.

/ Tractor Plates Massey #10  
Hey, I don't see anything wrong with having them. How can it be illegal if you are able to purchase them for tractors? I bought a blank one for mine to replace the old faded, scratched one. I stamped my own numbers in it.

At $20 a tag you got some money if you can find the right buyers.