Headlamp for JD870, part no. M803330

/ Headlamp for JD870, part no. M803330 #1  

nek870

Tractor
JD 870
This past summer, I stupidly broke the right headlamp on my JD870, while piling brush on a large burn pile. (One of the branches on the pile poked it out.) I'm trying to replace the headlamp, but John Deere no longer sells it as a separate item. They only sell the whole what they call "light harness," part no. LVA80264, consisting of both headlamps and the plastic thing that holds them in place, for almost $200! The part number for the right headlamp alone used to be M803330, and it used to sell for about $40.

I'd sure like to avoid paying an extra $150 or so for parts I don't even need. Would anyone know how to get a hold of just the headlamp?

/ Headlamp for JD870, part no. M803330
You're right, I did forget a number. It is LVA802641. And, aahh, do you know of any tractor dismantlers?

Thanks!

Thanks again, Zebrafive. Done and Done: I've called AG Parts, and they're looking; and I've placed a want-to-buy at tractorhouse.com.

I'll keep you posted ...

www.tracorhouse.com has a parts wanted section. Try posting up there. Multiple parts dismantlers will see your wanted post.
Also Used Tractors and Farm Machinery for sale by Fastline has a dismantled section. Closest I found was a JD 970 dismantled by All States AG Parts. Reference EQ 18154 Phone 877-530-3010

Just to end this thread, I feel like I ought to let people know that I came up completely blank. As one person said, if I want this simple headlamp, I am going to have to "pay the man." A few salvage dealers called me and promised to get back to me and never did, and I can't find one anywhere. Unfortunately, John Deere seems to have us by the balls ...

========================

This past summer, I stupidly broke the right headlamp on my JD870, while piling brush on a large burn pile. (One of the branches on the pile poked it out.) I'm trying to replace the headlamp, but John Deere no longer sells it as a separate item. They only sell the whole what they call "light harness," part no. LVA80264, consisting of both headlamps and the plastic thing that holds them in place, for almost $200! The part number for the right headlamp alone used to be M803330, and it used to sell for about $40.

I'd sure like to avoid paying an extra $150 or so for parts I don't even need. Would anyone know how to get a hold of just the headlamp?

/ Headlamp for JD870, part no. M803330 #9  
Why don't you just fix the one you broke ? Even if it's just the lense, cut out a similar equivalent piece from a headlight assembly you can find in the median of most highways and cement it in. If that's out of your league, buy the new part and chalk it up to experience.

I don't understand why someone expects a manufacturer to maintain a complete parts inventory for a 25 year old lawn mower at junkyard prices. If you can explain it, I'm all ears.

There are used tractor parts disassemblers all over ebay. Send a message to them and see if they can supply you with one. Make sure you inform them which side you are needing.

I bought a pair of the add-on headlights for my F-935 from an ebay used parts dealer for $.99 apiece. But, I never need the headlights. What was I thinkin' ????

/ Headlamp for JD870, part no. M803330 #10  
While the 870 is no longer a current product, it is not yet 25 years old, nor a lawn mower. Also, similar models (3005 and 4005) are still in production that share many similar parts. Also the light assembly is still available. So it's not unreasonable to assume that separate parts could be available.