harbor freight / smith+jones electric motors: anyone try them??

/ harbor freight / smith+jones electric motors: anyone try them?? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
I need an electric motor for my cement mixer. I only use it a few times a year, and don't want to spend more than a new cement mixer to get a super high quality motor. The old motor was only rated 1/3 hp and harbor freight has their brand (smith+jones) 1/2 hp motor for 80$ after discount coupon. Wanted to know if it would be worth trying. I have already looked on CL and currently nothing listed. Thanks in advance to any replies.

/ harbor freight / smith+jones electric motors: anyone try them?? #2  
I need an electric motor for my cement mixer. I only use it a few times a year, and don't want to spend more than a new cement mixer to get a super high quality motor. The old motor was only rated 1/3 hp and harbor freight has their brand (smith+jones) 1/2 hp motor for 80$ after discount coupon. Wanted to know if it would be worth trying. I have already looked on CL and currently nothing listed. Thanks in advance to any replies.

I have 2 and they seem OK. But slightly overrated in HP.
On my cement mixer (1/3 yard) I put on a 3/4 hp and find it barely enough. It not an HF.

/ harbor freight / smith+jones electric motors: anyone try them?? #3  
Take a look on ebay for a Leeson. I think you could find a new old stock one for about the same price that's made in the US. If you don't use it often I would try to find a way to make the motor easily removed for storage. My father had a trick for belt drives. He would make a hinge out of a steel bar and some pipe. The bar could be slid out and the hinge became two pieces. He would mount the hinge so the weight of the motor would hold the belt tight. When he was done he would pull the bar out and store the motor in the basement.