8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #91  
pull starts help with weak compression too.. since the dynamic compression from the faster spinning engine due to the pull-off.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #92  
Well, I didn't catch he did not replace the cap. Even though he is getting some spark, enough to apparently knock the be-jesus out of him, there may be some build up on the lugs. not giving it optimum spark. And as mentioned above, if you already checked it, alrighty then... But the plug should throw a blueish-white spark.

And the only reason I mention that is because he said last time it ran, it was missing some what. On my "Binders", experience has taught me the first place to look is the cap and rotor button. A quick scrape, and usually I'm good to go.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #93  
[QUOTE=parispete;3159790]The points are set at .015 at 1/4" as the diagram fig FO83 on page 58 of the I&T Shop Manual.

Question-if the gap is set at the right setting .015 at 1/4" as the diagram in the Shop Manual and it is before dead center of the hump, which will make the points open more at dead center then which way do I need to turn the screw, clockwise or counter clockwise??

I think he has got the point setting wrong?? If I read it correctly Pete has got a 15thou gap at 1/4" where he should be just getting the points to open. The 15thou gap is set at the highest point of the cam in other words they cannot open any further than 15thou. The setting at 1/4" is the points JUST starting to open breaking the field through the coil. Correct me if I am wrong as I said earlier have not worked on any 8ns (bit thin on the ground over here) but reading the info that soundguy put up and from what the OP has written I think the timing is not right.

Jon

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #94  
I see where you're going banjodunn. I kinda' assumed he went back and set the points on the high point of the lobe, THEN was having problems with the static timing per the 1/4" setting. Maybe wondering if he took the measurement off the narrow side of the tang by mistake, but I think you nailed it.

I can see an ohm meter, and 'gator clips being real handy to get it dead nut, whether measured, or a gauge shown in one pic, IF the plate needed adjusted to the, just breaking point.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #95  
I see where you're going banjodunn. I kinda' assumed he went back and set the points on the high point of the lobe, THEN was having problems with the static timing per the 1/4" setting. Maybe wondering if he took the measurement off the narrow side of the tang by mistake, but I think you nailed it.

I can see an ohm meter, and 'gator clips being real handy to get it dead nut, whether measured, or a gauge shown in one pic, IF the plate needed adjusted to the, just breaking point.

yeah, that could be he is setting the gap at the rown area on the lobe..e tc.

and yeah.. an ohm meter with a tone preferably.. :) or a test lamp is very usefull.

There are at least 2 custom points setting jigs out there. one is completely mechanical made buy a guy on a couple tractor boards.. it's a straight jig setup. the other is a jig that also uses some led's and a few test leads, and gives you go / no go, break / open led indicators for setting the points and static timing it. I and 2 other guys I know, demo'd one of those units for a company that will be selling them soon. neat tool ( DIStool ) I believe they are calling it.

soundguy

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #96  
yeah, that could be he is setting the gap at the rown area on the lobe..e tc.

and yeah.. an ohm meter with a tone preferably.. :) or a test lamp is very usefull.

There are at least 2 custom points setting jigs out there. one is completely mechanical made buy a guy on a couple tractor boards.. it's a straight jig setup. the other is a jig that also uses some led's and a few test leads, and gives you go / no go, break / open led indicators for setting the points and static timing it. I and 2 other guys I know, demo'd one of those units for a company that will be selling them soon. neat tool ( DIStool ) I believe they are calling it.

soundguy

That is why I posted the link to that video so he could see exactly how to set the points.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #97  
i hope he gets back to us. these things were designed for horse farmers in the 30's.... i think the average person should be able to be 'all over' this.. :)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #98  
i hope he gets back to us. these things were designed for horse farmers in the 30's.... i think the average person should be able to be 'all over' this.. :)

Hey...!! I'm a horse farmer...!!! What you sayin'....???? ;)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #99  

Back in those days you were your own mechanic. That is why they came with a tool kit.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #100  
I do my own wrenching, and if there were tool kits with the ones I have, someone kept them...Well, 99.9% of them. I did get the OEM wheel lug wrench with my one Super C.