8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #101  
Back in those days you were your own mechanic. That is why they came with a tool kit.

yep.. and that's why many o fthe bolt heads and fasteners used were a common size.

Dj54, don't worry.. I'm a horse farmer too. :) got 4 of them nags....

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #102  
** Dj54, don't worry.. I'm a horse farmer too. :) got 4 of them nags....**

LOL..., you knew I was just joshin' anyway... Yeah, 4 seems to be the magic number, me too.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #104  
If it shuts down after an hour or so it must be the coil or condenser. I don't know how many times I pulled the distributor off before I found the culprit. In my dumber days, I even replaced the points while the distributor was on the tractor using a mirror without removing the hood.
Some of the guys on this site are Ford- New Holland mechanics. Some have rebuilt many old tractors and have a huge collection of them. They have a vast knowledge of the old N's and will help you out for free. Some like me have screwed up so many times (before computers) they know what works and what don't.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #105  
must be? .. it MIGHT be.. but not 'must'

if a condensor fials short.. you will have the effect of sloced points. easy to check.

if it fails open.. you get burned points. easy to verify.

points don't heal.

easy to do a spark test and continuity test on coil and points at failure instead of guessing and random parts replacement $$$

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #106  
I would buy a complete carbarator ,I THINK THIS WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM CHECK THE ROLLER BUTTON UNDER DISTRIBTOR CAP ,CHECK CAP AS WELL FOR HAIR-LINE CRACKS

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #107  
ahh.. the real answer has arrived. 11 pages in.. :)