8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #31  
OKAY! I might be a newbie here,but I have replaced MANY ignition components. I have tried to read the total thread,but I might have missed something.
Now,Pete.... there are some other things that might be wrong,if you've tried the advice given previously.
(1)Your timing may be off.
(2)Make sure the shaft of the distributor hasn't sheared a pin or something.(this happened to me with a car).
Now,I didn't take the time to look up the engine and its type of ignition,so the above may not apply.
(3)Any doubt as to timing can be removed by using an inductive timing light.Just clamp it over the #1 spark plug wire and connect to pos. and negative battery posts or even to a separate battery.When it flashes,your TDC (top dead center) timing mark should be seen when the light flashes as you crank the engine over.
I'll familiarize myself to this type of spark distribution system of old.I've disced with an old Ford, and I had to tap the carb every few passes in the field to make it keep running LOL! don-ohio :)^)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #32  
you might want to get familiar with that n front mount ignition system befroe giving advice. it would have saved you a half page of typing.

front mounts have no timing mark inspection hole nor do they have marks on the flywheel.

distribuitor is offset tang driven DIRECTLY off the front of the cam.. VERY hard to get it installed out of time without busting the dizzy housing.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #33  
So................are you saying you can't check the timing of the engine with a light? That would be hard to believe,Soundguy.
BTW,Pete.....the distributor can actually short out,and have intermittent spark,or there can be a lot of side-play in the shaft. If it isn't firing right,the timing light will tell you this.
So anytime you're working on something,find Top Dead Center,scribe a mark, chalk it and check it with an inductive timing light. don-ohio :)^)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #34  
I guess I waisted my time typing that post to you.

I said there is NO view port to the flywheel on that early N, nor did it have marks.

the flat coil assy on the dizzy doesn't lend well to regular lanps, but some will work.. IF you had marks.. or COULD see them.

Never mind.

You can fix his machine since you know so much about it.

I'll just set back and watch...

you static time that dizzy using a ruler while it is on your bench!

So................are you saying you can't check the timing of the engine with a light? That would be hard to believe,Soundguy.
BTW,Pete.....the distributor can actually short out,and have intermittent spark,or there can be a lot of side-play in the shaft. If it isn't firing right,the timing light will tell you this.
So anytime you're working on something,find Top Dead Center,scribe a mark, chalk it and check it with an inductive timing light. don-ohio :)^)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #35  
Read my post again, SG! You put your OWN mark on the pulley...........or do you understand that. And anything with a spark plug wire can be timed with an induction timing light. don-ohio
P.S.: Yes......you wasted YOUR time.LOL!

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #36  
i see you've never worked on a front mount N and simply don't know how to time one...

I read your post. i didn't disagree that some timing lamps would work. the inductive will.. the ones that need the outgoing primary side of the coil .. not so much.

pulley? good luck there.

again.. I see you've never worked on one....

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #37  
Soundguy is correct. The front mount distributor is static timed, its in the I&T manual. I know I did it twice on my 8N, each time I changed my points. Not hard to do. Soundguy probably did it 100 times. Nothing to bounce that timing light off.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #38  
Read my post again, SG! You put your OWN mark on the pulley...........or do you understand that. And anything with a spark plug wire can be timed with an induction timing light. don-ohio
P.S.: Yes......you wasted YOUR time.LOL!

Your telling Sound guy how to time a Ford???:laughing::laughing::cool2::laughing:

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #39  
Soundguy is correct. The front mount distributor is static timed, its in the I&T manual. I know I did it twice on my 8N, each time I changed my points. Not hard to do. Soundguy probably did it 100 times. Nothing to bounce that timing light off.

apparently don thinks differently.

probably because he's never seen a front mount N ignition.... deffinately hasn't worked on one, the way he's talking....