8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #51  
I'd time the 8n per the book, but if someone wanted to probe a cylinder, I have found that the long pull ties to be a bendable object unlikely to scratch anything.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #52  
hard to beat, using the RTFm method. that's how the ford engineers designed it.... must be something to it... :)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #53  
hard to beat, using the RTFm method. that's how the ford engineers designed it.... must be something to it... :)

I remember doing it once when I was a teenager. Our 8n had the front mount distributor. I used to have to keep the points absolutely immaculate, else the thing would go all to heck. I was just a kid, still learning...and I told my dad one day that it didn't make any sense....nobody in the world has to keep their points that nice, and there must be something wrong with the coil.

Dad bought a new coil, and I never had to touch the points again.

I loved that tractor. Such a short length, easy to maneuver, quiet, fairly thrifty, would pull nicely sized implements, etc. The brakes sucked, but that was bound to be due to my ignorance. I replaced the seals once and put new pads on it, and it had great brakes for a time, but the seals gave way again. No internet back then, so I couldn't ask folks who conquered the problem what the solution was.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #54  
yep,.. the early 8n falls in a bad spot for axle seals. late 8n has 2 seals. and 9n/2n can use sure seals. early 8n.. single seal and not much to do about it.. unless you repalce the axle and hub and seal all as a unit.. most don't repalce the axles.. nor do they seal the edge of the seal to the trumpet either..

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #55  
Hey Parispete, got more info for ya.

This first link is probably the best explanation of how to time a front mount Ford distributor I've seen:
Re: front mount distributor - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

I just found this tool to use when doing the timing, wish I knew about it when I had my 8N, I would have bought one in a heartbeat:
Ford Front Distributor Timing Jig - Model 9N-1200TG

Here's the forum you need to visit to find help with your 8N. All the participants have either 9N, 2N, or 8N fords. If anyone can help you with your tractor, they can. I visited that site regularly when I had problems with my 8N:
Yesterday's Tractors :: View Forum - Ford 9N, 2N, 8N

Here are a few sites for 8N parts:
http://www.n-complete.com/Index/index.php
http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars.php
http://www.just8ns.com/

This site has some good videos on repairing 8Ns:
http://www.farmtractorrepair.com/01150.html

Good luck with your tractor.

Last edited:
   / 8n will fire but not start?? #56  
G'day lots of good advice here just wondering though did you clean the points contacts before installing? The reason I ask is that they come with an anti corrosion film on them that can stop them from throwing a good spark , you say you are getting a 1/4" spark it does not sound like much to me I think it should throw a stronger spark than that. In saying that I have never worked on any of those early fords (not too common over here) maybe soundguy will correct me on the strength of the spark. Good luck with it keep us informed of your progress.

Jon

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #57  
he's already getting that info.... ?

I gotta say.. this is the most discussion I have ever seen on timing a front mount.. that 1 pafge out of the manual says it all.. all ya need is a straight edge and to be able to measure 1/4" :)

Hey Parispete, got more info for ya.

This first link is probably the best explanation of how to time a front mount Ford distributor I've seen:
Re: front mount distributor - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

I just found this tool to use when doing the timing, wish I knew about it when I had my 8N, I would have bought one in a heartbeat:
Ford Front Distributor Timing Jig - Model 9N-1200TG

Here's the forum you need to visit to find help with your 8N. All the participants have either 9N, 2N, or 8N fords. If anyone can help you with your tractor, they can. I visited that site regularly when I had problems with my 8N:
Yesterday's Tractors :: View Forum - Ford 9N, 2N, 8N

Here are a few sites for 8N parts:
n-Complete
Dennis Carpenter-Ford Cars
Just8Ns - Ford Tractor Parts and Restoration

This site has some good videos on repairing 8Ns:
Ford 9N, 2N, 8N Tune-Up

Good luck with your tractor.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #58  
You're right. I got carried away.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #59  
i wasn't even really singling you out.. just the entire thread amuses me. there's no reason to fabricate elaborate ways to time a front mount when 1 page out of the 1939 service catalog shous how to do it with a ruler.. ;)