Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

Default Re: 8n will fire but not start??

If it cranks with the starter but will not fire once the key is off the start position, then I would check the resistor. I do timing using a dial guage to be sure the marks are correct, also you have to be sure the firing order is not 180 degrees out. With the Piston at TDC you can install a compression tester and add compressed air, and be sure it is on the right stroke. I have no experience on this tractor but have worked on a lot of old stuff to know you have to check everything. It is usually the simple things that you know is OK that is the problem. Things like cleaning the power and especially the ground cables and connection.
    Just a thought!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Timing is timing but why will it not start.
    there's so little timing adjustment on a front mount anyway.. that if the dizzy came off a running tractor.. it should be running when you put it back on.. even if you didn't static time it AND the breaker point gap changed a bit.

( might not run optimum.. but it should run.. )

thus.. I think the problem will be found elsewhere..

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

from oem.. no key-turn to start on this machine.

I wish all the 'helpers' on this thread would actually familiarize themselves with the machine at hand and quit guessing at the particulars....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnp33 View Post
    If it cranks with the starter but will not fire once the key is off the start position, then I would check the resistor. I do timing using a dial guage to be sure the marks are correct, also you have to be sure the firing order is not 180 degrees out. With the Piston at TDC you can install a compression tester and add compressed air, and be sure it is on the right stroke. I have no experience on this tractor but have worked on a lot of old stuff to know you have to check everything. It is usually the simple things that you know is OK that is the problem. Things like cleaning the power and especially the ground cables and connection.
    Just a thought!

Tractor
    Ford 8n

I got no hair left and I broke a nail!! I took out the distributor and looked up the page the Soundguy sent a picture of about setting the points. I have done everything you guys have suggested and today I put the starter fluid in. Not a peep. I have checked those wires and they are golden. I made a jig out of plexiglass. The top of the shaft or high part is not dead center at 1/4" it is more like 5/16 or maybe 11/16. What I am saying is that if I set the points at .015 at 1/4" like the picture when I rurn the shaft it gets wider??

I did locate a set of fairly nice used wheels and have a new tire.

I did not get a get nothing. I think I will check for the spark tomorrow when the sun is up and see what that is doing. It actually sounded worse today than it did before I messed with it this time. I will keep you all posted.

Working out in this cold is not good but I built a tent frame and put a tarp over the tractor and heat it up before I get in it. New barn in 18 months can't wait.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by parispete View Post
    The top of the shaft or high part is not dead center at 1/4" it is more like 5/16 or maybe 11/16. What I am saying is that if I set the points at .015 at 1/4" like the picture when I rurn the shaft it gets wider??
    If the timing is off turn the screw on the side to of the dizzy to adjust it.The .015" on the points is at max opening if it gets wider when you turn it you need to adjust the points. You adjust the points on the high side of the cam.

After all the cranking you have done I'd suggest pulling the plugs, dropping some motor oil in the cylinders an crank it over a few times with the plugs out.

There are inexpensive spark testers that you just hold on the wire. They are a little more comfortable than the previous method you tried.

I also doubt timing is the root problem.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Silver Member

When you pull the plugs after trying to crank it, are they wet?

Tractor

make sure you turn the dizzy shaft the correct way as well..

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    from oem.. no key-turn to start on this machine.

I wish all the 'helpers' on this thread would actually familiarize themselves with the machine at hand and quit guessing at the particulars....
    The reason I made the suggestions was it seamed your advise was either being ignored or above his ability, when I get into a problem that I can not figure out I go back to basics.
    With you being perfect I will never give advise on anything you are involved with.

Tractor
    Ford 8n

The plugs were wet when I pulled them yesterday. I know one was dry. The #1 plug was almost dripping so I asked my wife what it smelled like?? My sense of smell is not good and not ggod at all if I have been in the shop working (wood dust over the years) so I ask my wife and she said it smelled like gas??

I do not get it?? The thing was running sluggish and I put my hands on it and it turns to ca-ca?

It is cold as #@%* today and no outside. I do have the tractor battery on a charge and was wondering if it could be the switch? Not the one by the gear stick but the toggle, I do not have a key I have a toggle that I turn on and off. It did get spark from the plug test the other day. The cold does not help this 6 volt system but for now I wanted to get a 12 volt down the road. My brother is thinking he wants to just completely take one apart and put it back together?? I am changing my number the day he brings the tractor home. Oh he has not bought one yet and wants one he has to load on a truck and haul home.

I want to thank everyone for the support and we will get through this. Thanks guys!!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast