8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #71  
The reason I made the suggestions was it seamed your advise was either being ignored or above his ability, when I get into a problem that I can not figure out I go back to basics.
With you being perfect I will never give advise on anything you are involved with.

I'd settle for you just not giving advice that doesn't apply.

which in my experience, can further bumfuzzle someone who already has a problem.

you'r call either way.

Nobody's perfect. I just happen to be familiar with the machine he's working on. something 3/4's of the other helpers here in this thread apparently can't also say.

soundguy

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #72  
I still have my doubts that you have the plug wires connected right. I recommend you triple check.

Take a look at this picture that I copied off of Yesterday's Tractor site that was already mentioned. The pic comes from the link that one of the other guys posted.

FordFrontMountDistributor.jpg

Then, like Carl said, follow the wires to see if they go to 1,2,3,4 from front to rear on the engine block.

Also, I would check for a good spark on each of the 4 plugs.

Too bad one of us couldn't get our hands on your tractor, I don't think it would take long. Something very basic is wrong, I think. Good luck.

"Starting at the the radiator on the head cover I marked the pistons 1, 2, 4, 3." This could be the problem. The order of pistons in the motor are 1, 2, 3, 4 staring at the front of the tractor moving toward the rear. The firing order is 1, 2, 4, 3. The order the wires need to be on the distributor cap is 1, 2, 4, 3 the way the rotor spins. Could you have wires 3 and 4 be mixed up between the distributor cap and the motor?

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #73  
Too bad one of us couldn't get our hands on your tractor, I don't think it would take long. Something very basic is wrong, I think. Good luck.

i agree. it's probably a small, overlooked, important issue.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #74  
The plugs were wet when I pulled them yesterday. I know one was dry. The #1 plug was almost dripping so I asked my wife what it smelled like?? My sense of smell is not good and not ggod at all if I have been in the shop working (wood dust over the years) so I ask my wife and she said it smelled like gas??

I do not get it?? The thing was running sluggish and I put my hands on it and it turns to ca-ca?

It is cold as #@%* today and no outside. I do have the tractor battery on a charge and was wondering if it could be the switch? Not the one by the gear stick but the toggle, I do not have a key I have a toggle that I turn on and off. It did get spark from the plug test the other day. The cold does not help this 6 volt system but for now I wanted to get a 12 volt down the road. My brother is thinking he wants to just completely take one apart and put it back together?? I am changing my number the day he brings the tractor home. Oh he has not bought one yet and wants one he has to load on a truck and haul home.

I want to thank everyone for the support and we will get through this. Thanks guys!!

If you had spark and shocked yourself the switch is working.

Can you give us a update on where you are now?

1. Are the properly points adjusted to .015"?
2. Do you have it timed right?

If no to 1 and 2 there is no point in going any farther until that is right.

3.If yes to 1 and 2 did you clean the plugs with some gum cutter, and did you turn the motor over with the plugs out?

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #75  
I had trouble with tisco points so much that I got on a forum and ended up at an auto parts store and bought blue streak points and condensor and then it ran great. Not sure if this will help you by I adjusted and re adjusted the tisco points and it still wouldn't run, when I did get it to go it died in the road and had to tow it back.

Good Luck

Jim

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #76  
tisco points are the cheapest and worst points you can buy.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #77  
here's a list of front mount ignition parts:

Ford 9-2-8n Front mount distribuitor ignition service:

gap points to .015

Front Mount distributor...
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-6769X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA200
Standard Ignition #FD-71
Rotor:
NAPA #FA300
Standard Ignition #FD-104
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA350
Standard Ignition #FD-126

and oil filters for all 9-2-8n with oe cartridge setup.

Ford Part Number: CPN 6371B 9N-18649, 9N-6714, 9N-2731
Fram C3, C3-P
NAPA Gold 1010
Motorcraft FL 144
Balidwin P40
Big A 92010
Bosch 72127
Carquest 85010
Fleetguard LF574
Wix 51010
Purolater L20110 or L20701
Fleetrite LFR-8574
Texaco HSO-100
Unocal OF 1010
White 10575
Hastings Mighty M3LF-130
Luber-Finer P3

/ 8n will fire but not start??
The points are set at .015 at 1/4" as the diagram fig FO83 on page 58 of the I&T Shop Manual.

From the picture that GPintheMitten has posted the #1 wire goes to the from of the motor just behind the radiator, #2 wire goes behind that one, then the #3 wire goes all the way to the back of the engine on the last cylinder, and the last one #4 is located on the 3rd cylinder back for the radiator. That is where the wires have been since the second day of this thread.

I did wipe the plugs off, but did not use gum cleaner because they are new and have never started this engine.

For clairity, I bought all my parts from tractorpartsexpress because I saved on shipping. (Is this not a good place to get parts?)

At the present, I am trying to get out to try to start it with a full battery charge and I guess that I will pull all the plugs to see if they are firing if it continues to not start.

As of today I have checked for spark. WOW! I had to re-set the points and pulled the plugs to spray in starter fluid, wiped the plugs off and rechecked the gap and they are at .025-.026. I put the plugs back in and tried to start it and it did not fire but it had a weak battery. I think I am going to have to see about the screw on the side of the Distributor because I do not think that the gap on the points are set dead center on the high side of the shaft??

Question-if the gap is set at the right setting .015 at 1/4" as the diagram in the Shop Manual and it is before dead center of the hump, which will make the points open more at dead center then which way do I need to turn the screw, clockwise or counter clockwise??

Ok, I just tried to start it and it did not start and the engine is dragging from the cold I guess. So as it stands right now, I have to recheck the points and see if all the plugs are firing which I will see if they are firing before I pull and check the points.

I am thinking that I might take it to a friends house and see if he will let me put it in his garage with a heater and see what the deal is. I can work on it there out of the wind. I do not mind the cold that bad just the wind.

I build Windsor Chairs and some of the smaller 18th century furniture in my two care garage. The garage was being cleaned and gone through to make room for my new tablesaw and that is why I took advantage of the space to put all the new components and parts on the tractor. I have put the new saw in place and have 2 chairs being finished and one on the bench. I put this in there in case anyone was wondering why I don't pull it back in the garage.

If anyone wants to see what I got for the tune up- tractorpartsexpress - Tune up Kit Part # 309786 and the wires are Part # CPN12259 and the 6 volt coil # 9N12024.

While we are talking about parts, where can I get a good quality carb rebuild kit and a float??

Ok talk to you all soon. Oh I did put new fuel in it and let it run through the line to the carb.

Soundguy, where do I get those parts at NAPA? Just read your post. Any of the parts I bought worth anything? I have always thought parts were parts?? I guess that things have changed seeing import everything from everyone else and don't make our own stuff anymore. Shame for the greatest county on earth?

Thanks

I have read all the post from everyone and thought it was a spell check thing so all at once everyone tell me what a dizzy is? I was under the impression that my ex-wife was dizzy?? Just kidding.