8n will fire but not start??

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #1  

parispete

Tractor
Ford 8n
I spent all day taking my 48 8n apart to put in new points, condenser, coil, wires,plugs, and a solenoid for the starter. I shocked the wowwy out of myself when I took a plug out to check for a spark. It acts like it wants to catch and start but that is it. I have tried it with the chock and with out chocking and no go. the carburetor is leaking where the choke comes into the side. All seems good and I need some advise. I do have to get a starter when this goes out, but as long as it will crank the tractor it stays. I worked on cars in my youth and them cars were close to what the tractor has as far as motors.

Any advise? I have checked and the carburetor is getting fuel at where the fuel line comes into the carburetor. If I need a new carburetor is it better to get a carb kit or just get a used carburetor? The thing is that I need this tractor up and running by spring and the weather here is in the high 40's so spring may come early at this rate.

Anyone know how I get to the 8n section on the site? Is it a site where everything is all mixed in?

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #2  
My first question is, was it running before all this happened. If so, I would recheck the placement of your spark plug wires. Sounds like they are firing, however, they maybe firing on the wrong cyl do to misplacement.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #3  
Are you sure you have the plug wires on correct? If yes then pull the hose of the carb and spray some starting fluid or gum cutter in it and see if it will start.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #4  
Yep, I had me one of them 8N's years ago. I spent more time working on it than with it.....
If it hasn't run in a while, I would either replace the plugs or at least clean them. It also sounds like you are getting way too much gas. Those Marvel carbs are dirt simple. I would put a kit in it or at least clean it and make sure the float valve is working.
In short, clean the plugs, make sure the carb is clean and float valve working.

Edit: just read your post again and see you have replaced the plugs. Did you gap them?
Now go after the carb.

/ 8n will fire but not start??
When I took the distributor off I checked to see where the position of the points cap was and drew it on a piece of paper. I set the points to .025 that came this the kit and rechecked with my set. I marked the pistons on the motor hear. I pulled all the wires out and put them in one at a time and then marked them with tape and marked them with the number from the pistons. I did this with all 4 wires and changed out the spark plugs. I did check the gap and I set them all to .026. I then took all the wires and cut them to length and cut them with a wire stripper to get a short piece of the wire to come up through the hole in the wire metal piece that goes into the distributor cap after I slipped the boots on with a little vaseline.I made sure that the wires were in all the way and slid the boot into place. I checked and rechecked everything before I finished because I did not want to take the metal back off and swing the radiator out of the way. I even gave it a start before I put the metal back on. I am 92% sure that everything was done correctly.

The tractor runs like a top. Last year it started running for and hour or so and stopping. That was it till the next day or later in the night. This fall it started and acted like it was missing and back fireing and just running poorly. I decided to give the points and plugs an over haul. Before the over haul it acked like it wanted to start but just would not. I cannot tell if it is getting out of fuel but the sound with the new points and plugs does sound stronger that it ever has.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #6  
if you have the plug wires correct then rebuild that carb. i have had several over the years with similar problems. fords of that era are prone to carb especially float problems. get the complete kit not the el cheapo only few dollars more. if you even slightly suspect the float replace it. its a seperate order part and very often the culprit.

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #7  
advise?

GET A MANUAL!!!!!

1, a 48 is a front mount.

points gap at .015

I'mamazed you can GET a .025 gap on a front mount.

2, took all morning to take it apart to do points? Please don't say you took the hood or rad off?

it takes about 10m to remove the 2 bolts holding the distrib on, repalce points, statinc time, and reinstall

wide gap makes weak sparks.

correct this.

fire order is 1-2-4-3

if it hasn't ran in a while.. put a teaspoon of atf down each hole.. spin her over.

if gas drops out of carb you are choking her too much.. unless it constantly drips in which case you have a float seat/needle issue and shee's constantly in a state of flood

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #8  
advise?

GET A MANUAL!!!!!

1, a 48 is a front mount.

points gap at .015

I'mamazed you can GET a .025 gap on a front mount.

2, took all morning to take it apart to do points? Please don't say you took the hood or rad off?

it takes about 10m to remove the 2 bolts holding the distrib on, repalce points, statinc time, and reinstall

wide gap makes weak sparks.

correct this.

fire order is 1-2-4-3

if it hasn't ran in a while.. put a teaspoon of atf down each hole.. spin her over.

if gas drops out of carb you are choking her too much.. unless it constantly drips in which case you have a float seat/needle issue and shee's constantly in a state of flood

Sound Guy, You are good!

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #9  
Sound Guy, You are good!

it amazes me to see the way people will avoid spending 20$ on a manual for a tractor.. then waste 4 hours taking a hood / radiator / fan off to get to the front of a dizzy that is held on with 2 bolts and really, for practical purposes.. can't be put back on out of time.

usually the same people that take an hour to pour in 5.5 qts crankcase oil thru the dipstick hole instead of pulling the engine breather off and using the FILL tube :) ;)

/ 8n will fire but not start?? #10  
usually the same people that take an hour to pour in 5.5 qts crankcase oil thru the dipstick hole instead of pulling the engine breather off and using the FILL tube

Now that's funny, I do agree about the manuals. People spend big bucks on machines and won't buy a 20$ book. Should be a CW song in there,