Help with Hydraulics - slightly OT

/ Help with Hydraulics - slightly OT #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
This is sorta off topic so hope you don't mind me asking. We are restoring a 1947 jeep as a farm vehicle,complete with 3pt hitch. The first 4 wheel drive compact!

The hitch fits under the rear of the jeep and has its own reservoir and valve. The original pump would have been driven off the crank, with lines running to the rear. The valve is mounted on the reservoir and is spring loaded to return to netural. There is a control between the seats and one out the rear for moving the valve and controling the lift.

We have an old electric pump (12v)with its own reservoir, but no control valve. I have the outlet of the lift reservoir connected to the reservoir of the pump. The cylinder has been rebuilt, but the valve hasn't been touched.

The pump lifts me standing on the arms, but as soon as the valve is in the netural position the lift drops. I am trying to determine if I have air in the system or if the valve needs a rebuild. Also, am I going to have problems running two reservoirs? When the pump is mounted in the engine compartment, it will be at about the same
height as the lift reservoir.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreicated.
Barry
www.farmjeep.com

/ Help with Hydraulics - slightly OT #2  
Not at all familiar with this system, I would think few are though. I would think that you problem is in the valve. Just my opinion though. I have been wrong before.

/ Help with Hydraulics - slightly OT #3  
Sounds to me like the valve also. Different valves are made to do different things. Sounds like your's is made with a float center position. It's worth looking into what the valve positions actually do. You may be able to buy one cheap to match your needs on the hitch.

good luck.

/ Help with Hydraulics - slightly OT #4  
I built a three point for my farm tractor using the belly lift hydraulics which have a center float position. That sounds like the type of valve you may have. I put ball valves in the lines to the 3pt top cylinder. I lift the impliment to the height I want and then close the valve to hold it there. Not the most elegant set-up, but it did not cost me anything and works well...

Attachments

• 293902-MM3PT.jpg
    293902-MM3PT.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122