bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #1  

scobrado

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I lost all my Rim Guard in a rear R4 15-19.5. It's been cold a couple nights. Not that cold by US standards -- maybe a low of 25 degrees F. There doesn't appear to be any trauma to the tire -- it just popped a bead in the cold. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause this failure, so it's very disappointing. The tractor is only a couple months old. I think the tires should be filled to 75% with Rim Guard I don't know if overfilling would lead to a failure in cold weather. I can't think of any other cause for the failure. I haven't worked on the tractor for a couple of weeks.

Anyone know of causes for a liquid filled tire failing when sitting idle?

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #2  
I lost all my Rim Guard in a rear R4 15-19.5. It's been cold a couple nights. Not that cold by US standards -- maybe a low of 25 degrees F. There doesn't appear to be any trauma to the tire -- it just popped a bead in the cold. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause this failure, so it's very disappointing. The tractor is only a couple months old. I think the tires should be filled to 75% with Rim Guard I don't know if overfilling would lead to a failure in cold weather. I can't think of any other cause for the failure. I haven't worked on the tractor for a couple of weeks.

Assuming you have drop center tubeless rears it would be posssible to have this happen as the side walls on the tires these days are very weak without tubes and the tires would flat spot even after two weeks.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #3  
There doesn't appear to be any trauma to the tire -- it just popped a bead in the cold. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause this failure. I can't think of any other cause for the failure. I haven't worked on the tractor for a couple of weeks.

Improper tire pressure (too low). Considering that the tractor is only a couple months old, this is a problem that falls back on whoever installed the liquid ballast for not setting the inflation pressure properly, or there is a flaw in the tire (not too likely). Given a sound tire and proper inflation pressure it simply shouldn't happen.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #4  
I agree, I would take it back to whoever filled the tires. They should refill the tire at no cost IMHO.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #5  
Improper tire pressure (too low). Considering that the tractor is only a couple months old, this is a problem that falls back on whoever installed the liquid ballast for not setting the inflation pressure properly, or there is a flaw in the tire (not too likely). Given a sound tire and proper inflation pressure it simply shouldn't happen.

Agree, improper tire pressure. I wonder if they even set the tire pressure at all after installing the Rim Guard. I too would go back to the installer for a free refill. Check the pressure in the other tire. If it is low you can be even more certain they didn't set the pressure.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #6  
I wouldnt go blaming people and burning bridges right away, maybe you ran over something and it caused an air leak.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #7  
There is one reason and it's not due to the temperature or the liquid fill. You have a hole in the tire and all the air went out. Simple as that.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell
Thanks for the input. Can I check the pressure with a regular tire gauge, or do I need a special gauge or liquid filled tires?

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell #9  
Thanks for the input. Can I check the pressure with a regular tire gauge, or do I need a special gauge or liquid filled tires?

There are gauges for liquid filled, but they are expensive from what I recall. I use a regular and rinse it out after, but use a cheapie in case it does get damaged. If the valve stem is at 12:00 you should get only a tiny amount of Rim guard on the gauge.

Post the results.

Have you filled the other tire back up with air and reseated the bead? Wondering if it is leaking air.

/ bead popped and Rim Guard lost while parked during cold spell
I haven't reseated the bead. I have never worked with a tire this big. I could wrap a strap around the tire, remove the valve stem, and hope my 15 gal. air tank has enough inrush to seat it. I figure it needs to go to the tire shop to get more Rim Guard so I'd just have them do it and see if there is a hole. I just hope I can get it off the truck and back on the tractor when it's full of liquid. It's going to weigh more than 300 lbs. loaded.

Last edited: