SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #1  

NoraS

Tractor
mitsunishi d3850fd
Tractor only crawls like a turtle with the subshift stick in LOW. Main shift works OK through all gears and reverse. Before the subshift got stuck in LOW, even when subshift was in HIgh, tractor still moved only very slow. Clutch seems to work OK with the main shift. Any experience or help on this problem? The nearest tractor mechanic for us is a plane ride away. Thanx

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #2  
Look at the bolt going through the ring that the shifter attaches to and make sure it is intact. Mine rusted enough that the shifter would spin on the shaft.

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850
Thanks, we will check that out and see if it solves the problem.

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #4  
I had the same issue on my MTE2000D and the the pin that slides the range gear had broken off the end of the shaft. Had to pull the top of the trans case and drain the fluid to see and work on it but it was a pretty simple fix. Pull the shift assembly out of the trans case, weld the pin back in place and put assembly back in the case....pretty basic mechanically speaking. I have also heard others on the forum describe the issue ThomasH mentioned. I think mine uses a roll pin instead of being bolted but w/either design, you will figure it out easily if that is the problem.

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850
Thanks Darryl, the pin was broken off at the end, like you described. Now that is fixed, subshift moves OK between L-M-H. But the tractor is still moving pretty slow in M & H. Main shift seems to work OK through all gears. ANy suggestions what to check?

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #6  
It is a gear drive tractor so as long as all trans gears are moving/engaging as they should, you should be getting full power/speed unless the clutch is slipping. I have a 3x3 trans and 3rd gear in high range is only good for about 12 MPH. Put it in mid- range and that goes down to probably 5-6 mph. You have a considerably larger tractor than mine but I suspect the speeds might only differ by a few MPH.....I have yet to see a Mitsubishi that was geared for much speed. When you say "pretty slow".....does that mean that there is some difference from low range? If you know for certain that the range gear is now moving I would check the clutch and go from there.

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #7  
Just looked the 3850 up and see you have a 5x3 trans. Given the size and gears, I could imagine it having a higher speed range and or "road gear" when in 5th gear x H range....... looked at your first post and you had mentioned that the clutch seemed good. You also mention that the main shift seems to be working correctly. Assuming that you can shift through all gears and ranges and see some speed difference with each gear change, I just cant think of anything other than slipping clutch that would limit it's designed speed. (Approximately) how slow is it?

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #8  
Just looked the 3850 up and see you have a 5x3 trans. Given the size and gears, I could imagine it having a higher speed range and or "road gear" when in 5th gear x H range....... looked at your first post and you had mentioned that the clutch seemed good. You also mention that the main shift seems to be working correctly. Assuming that you can shift through all gears and ranges and see some speed difference with each gear change, I just cant think of anything other than slipping clutch that would limit it's designed speed. (Approximately) how slow is it?
Found this thread because I have a D2050 and could not get it out of low range today I was getting ready to open the top of the case to fix the pin on the shift lever. Luckily, my problem was much easier to fix.

It turned out to be an issue with the ball bearing it uses as a detent. I used my pocket knife to push the ball in and was able to get it to move between ranges easily.

/ SLOW going with stuck subshift on Mitsubishi D3850 #9  
Hello, just joined to try to find out why my D3850 Mit. Wont pull off, as in move at all. I replaced the clutch pressure plate through out bearings (had two) and pilot bearing. Put it all back together and it acted like it wanted to move like a snail. then I noticed the H M L range was free spinning noticed the 11/32 ball bearing was missing I guess that keeps tension on the lever. Pulled top found lever popped out of transfer gear was able to get it back in, put it back together I was wondering what the 2 wires going to clutch assembly was for. Anyway tractor still will not do anything. NEED HELP.