massey 231s diesel smoke

/ massey 231s diesel smoke #1  

malcolmz64ss

Tractor
3000 ford
I have a 2000 model Massey 231S that smokes all time. How can I advance the pump timing to stop this? I can't find any service manuals to copy or buy. Thanks

/ massey 231s diesel smoke #2  
I doubt timing is the issue. Timing does not change unless you take off the pump or have a mechanical failure. More likely you have bad injectors, bad valve adjustment or low compression. It could also be a bad pump but would not be my first guess.

/ massey 231s diesel smoke
The reason I think it is pump timing is because this is a commom problem with Ford diesels because of wear to timing gears. Rotating the pump a few degrees cures the problem. I don't know the correct way to check pump timing on this model Massey.

/ massey 231s diesel smoke #4  
Hi -

I would not suspect pump timing initially, it is possible but highly unlikely. I would do a compression check on the engine and make sure it's at least 350 PSI, and if so I would have the injectors cleaned and adjusted by a diesel injector company, or replace them.

Injector timing and slop in timing gears is not a simple thing - I would suggest getting a factory manual that discusses the specs on the gears, and timing the crank/cam/injector pump.

Good luck!