1980 Ford 555 won't start

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #1  

oldyellowford

Tractor
Ford 555
Hi all,

Noob here. Acquired a 1980 Ford 555 from a neighbor a couple years ago and it had been running fine since. Parked it in late Nov 2012 and went to start it a couple weeks later and nothing, panel lights lit for a second and went out, won't come back on. Battery is fine- fairly new, there is power at the starter/ solenoid. Can't tell if it is neutral as the fwd/ neutral/ rev lever seems to be bound up. Linkage looks fine but it won't shift even with rear wheels off the ground (they both spin freely, just in the opposite direction of the one you are pushing). Any thoughts? Appreciate any help, thanks!

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #2  
:welcome:

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #3  
That is almost certainly due to a bad battery cable or cable connection. Check your cable connections first, including the other end connections to the starter and frame.

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #4  
sure sounds like a bad ground

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #5  
So tunes to me like you have two different problems. First, panel lights, a blown fuze . Second, three shift lever IS stuck in gear and starter is not. Strong enough to start it while in gear . The fact that when jacked up the wheels turn opposite. Or bad ground. Try to get Into neutral.

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start
Thanks for the advice all, will check the cables from start to finish tomorrow. As I recall the ground cable wasn't in the greatest shape... Might be pulling the fuel tank too, seems we're leaking diesel.

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #7  
Don't know if this helps or not,but MY backhoe won't actuate the starter unless the shifter is in neutral(you say yours is stuck?),but I bypassed that feature. don-ohio:)

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start
Sorry I haven't updated, been under the weather... It certainly seems to be an issue in the wiring as I've found we have no power at the ignition switch... I have two wires to check in the start circuit that would most likely be the culprit. Pretty sure it's the battery to switch wire, if not it's somewhere between the solenoid and switch. Will let ya know when it stops raining. If those don't work I'll be trying your suggestion Don! Thanks again!

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #9  
Right! Been sick myself...just barely made it thru the 6days-12 hr. shifts(they call it `**** week',LOL! Now I'm off `til Mon AM,but still sick.Hope you find the problem and let us know when you do,Man! don-ohio :)^)

/ 1980 Ford 555 won't start #10  
Rear differential requires wheels to spin opposite wen unloaded. Perfectly normal. If you brake or block one and rock the other you might be able to free up the shifter(s). Two people for that job.
Your neutral safety may be preventing starter engagement. Don't recommend disabling that feature - it has saved many a guy in a rush. I suppose you could disable it just for a test, if both rear tires were blocked up safely off the ground. Then reattach the wires immediately.
Once your shifters are freed you can analyze any other problems. Be safe.
Jim