Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #1  

Joe Batt

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1250
My PTO shaft wobbles just a bit. Dad didn't completely disconnect the rotary mower and ended up backing over half the PTO shaft last summer. I think the PTO output is bent on the tractor, so I'm trying to remove it.

It looks like it's held in with a snap ring and a pressed in bearing. Should I be able to pull the whole shaft and bearing out with a slide hammer all at once? Do I need to take that snap ring off (I've tried, and failed...). I removed the two bolts that hold in the bearing and have yanked as hard as I can with a slide hammer attached to the shaft with a chain.

2013-01-19_14-58-34_910.jpg2013-01-19_14-58-12_551.jpg

Joe

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #2  
Remove the chain, pry the shaft seal out and remove the internal snap ring. The shaft and bearing should then come out with the slide hammer. Looks like a fun project to put back though. The sliding gear will have to be held in place on the shift fork while the new shaft is put back into place.

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250
Shoot! I didn't notice that snap ring behind the seal in the parts diagram. Too bad the seal is $81. Thanks!

Remove the chain, pry the shaft seal out and remove the internal snap ring.

Excellent! Thanks.

Didn't require the slide hammer at all. The bearing towards the front of the tractor wasn't even pressed in tight. This is a heck of a lot easier to work on than the junk cars I normally work on, but the parts cost 5-20X as much as 20 year old Accord parts (24 hours of Lemons).

I think this shaft is bent less than 1/8". I can see a wobble, but not bad enough to stop from mowing about 5 acres last fall. Any opinion on having a shop straighten it versus buying a new one ($236)? I'll have to buy a new seal ($81) and I will replace the bearing ($11).

2013-01-20_13-33-59_285.jpg

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #5  
I wouldn't think a shop would have much luck with straightening. With enough power they might straighten it but I would think that hardened steel might fracture. 'Course it didn't when it was damaged (maybe) so I think it's worth a try. By the time you find out, you'll be good at replacing the seal and shaft!
Jim

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #6  
I wouldn't think a shop would have much luck with straightening. With enough power they might straighten it but I would think that hardened steel might fracture. 'Course it didn't when it was damaged (maybe) so I think it's worth a try. By the time you find out, you'll be good at replacing the seal and shaft!
Jim

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #7  
Excellent! Thanks.

Didn't require the slide hammer at all. The bearing towards the front of the tractor wasn't even pressed in tight. This is a heck of a lot easier to work on than the junk cars I normally work on, but the parts cost 5-20X as much as 20 year old Accord parts (24 hours of Lemons).

I think this shaft is bent less than 1/8". I can see a wobble, but not bad enough to stop from mowing about 5 acres last fall. Any opinion on having a shop straighten it versus buying a new one ($236)? I'll have to buy a new seal ($81) and I will replace the bearing ($11).

View attachment 298617

Hi. I have a 1250 with a leaking PTO shaft seel. Do you know if this part number is correct? 3703965m91 I need to replace it and I can't seem to get the part number from the local dealer. Thanks Don

/ Removing PTO shaft on MF-1250 #9  
Joe, Any special tips for to getting that seal off (or back in)? I only plan on taking that one out. Thanks, Don

Nope. I really didn't know what I was doing. I tapped it in gently with a block of wood and a hammer, trying to keep it as square as possible.

I still screwed it up. The spring in the seal got caught and pulled off. It doesn't leak yet and it has about 12 hours of mowing on it.

Joe