Tractor overheating head gasket problem?

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #21  
i forsee a ruined head and block with an amateure waving a flat file over one.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #22  
Why would you believe that he is not filing it just removing the dings, and ever engine has them I rebuilt engines in class eights and always cleaned the block and heads, It is amazing how many brand new heads are all marked up on the edges.
The thing about using more water, That is not correct antifreeze at 50% will handle 245 F with a 15 lb rad cap and will not cavitate like week formulations will.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #23  
Because the sealing area on a class 8 diesel is likely 5 times the size of what he has on a little tractor.

Either buy a straight edge or have a machnist mill one side of a flatbar to make sure its flat and check the deck of the block, really the only way to know.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #24  
Why would you believe that he is not filing it just removing the dings, and ever engine has them I rebuilt engines in class eights and always cleaned the block and heads, It is amazing how many brand new heads are all marked up on the edges.
The thing about using more water, That is not correct antifreeze at 50% will handle 245 F with a 15 lb rad cap and will not cavitate like week formulations will.
I think you missed post number 33. The engine in question has no water pump. It's totally different than a class 8 engine.

I wonder what happened with the OP's tractor.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #25  
I think you missed post number 33. The engine in question has no water pump. It's totally different than a class 8 engine.

I wonder what happened with the OP's tractor.

as usual.. some of the helpers are offering generic help with no knowledge of the application, and thus the help doesn't apply to the application correctly.. thus creating confusion.

:(

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #26  
as usual.. some of the helpers are offering generic help with no knowledge of the application, and thus the help doesn't apply to the application correctly.. thus creating confusion.

:(
That's why I stopped posting. This engine is different than anything I've worked on, and the OP had already done what I suggest, which was having the head checked.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #27  
in all fairness to everybody here. there reaches a point when we as helpers can only do so much, and the op has to sometimes get pro help on their side for the tough jobs that are proving difficult to guess at over the internet.

with different skill sets and levels involved.. it can get non linear real fast. good guesses or not.

I also see 2 distinct threads kinda merging into one here further confusing it.

I'm going to back out at this pont and wait to see what the OP reports..

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #28  
The point I was trying to make is that a little ding on the block or head can, make the head gasket deviate from full torque. You are not filing away a lot of metal you hold one end of the file and swing it across the deck if there are no dings it does not cut anything if there are you clean then up.
What I found about being a mechanic is all things are similar, their are things that go up and down, there are things that go round and round, everything else is just a variation of the same stuff different pile.
With Sound guy being involved and being perfect I will be gone.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem?
Just to clarify for everyone. My YM 3110D 3 cylinder Yanmar engine does have a water pump. I just installed a new one, when I rebuilt the motor. It also has a new radiator that I installed at the same time. There is no thermostat, only a neck that appears to be welded onto the head so its not a bad thermostat. Upon inspecting the head and block when I disassembled it, again, it appears that #2 cylinder had a small leak through the head gasket to the water jacket. I have cleaned both the block and head and checked the block to make sure it is flat everywhere and it appears to be so. I had the machinist plane the head when he replaced my exhaust valve seats so I know that is flat. I'm guessing that something was stuck in the new gasket I missed when assembling the first time and it caused the slight leak. I'm double checking everything this time to make sure I'm perfectly clean and aligned perfectly and then I'll tighten per the manual and start it up. I am going to recheck the 8 head bolts to assure they are tight after I've run it for a little while and its gotten up to temp. I'll let everyone know what happens hopefully this weekend if I find time to put it back together. I appreciate everyone's input and seeing it from different points of view can sometimes lead to other ideas of what might be the problem or contributing to it.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem?
SDC10563-1024.jpgSDC10565-1024.jpgOK her is the final outcome. I installed the new head gasket and hooked everything back up. Motor fired right up and sounded good. Because I have never trusted idiot lights and mine did not appear to be working I purchased some old fashioned mechanical gauges with lines for the oil and temp. I installed these while the motor was apart so I could see what was going on when I finally got it running. When it started I noticed that the over flow tank was still producing very small bubbles, like it did previously only not as bad. I imediately had that sick feeling in my stomach and then remembered what JohnP33 had said about the radiator cap. You have to know I just installed a new radiator with the cap they sent that is chained to the radiator, so I figured it should be good. I took my old cap off the old radiator and like magic the bubbles from the overflow line quit. Thanks John for your excellent comment. Now that I had not bubbles and felt that the head gasket must be holding I ran the tractor to bring up the temp. Oil pressure was very good but nothing was happening with the temp? I took the tractor out and hooked up my 6' Rhino finish mower to it and started mowing up and down my front with is fairly steep. I Kept it in high gear and ran floored going up the hills to avoid downshifting and it made it with no problems. The temp got to a max of 180 running flat out on a difficult climb. I used to have to downshift previously, before I rebuilt the motor. So now I'm very happy that it is running better than it ever has for me and it is not overheating at all. Here are some pics of the reinstallation of the head and new gasket. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.