Tractor overheating head gasket problem?

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #1  

dirtdonkey

Tractor
2012 Mahindra 4530
I recently rebuilt my Yanmar 3110D 3 cylinder diesel tractor. When I looked at the new head gasket I received in my parts I noticed that it had 3 small metal rings where the cylinder would seal to the head and the rest was a pressed material with fibers in it. The gasket I took off was solid metal everywhere with various insets of different metals at certain locations for water jackets leading to the head from the block and where the pushrods ran back down into the block. I read from some previous posters that the new head gaskets were junk and I wondered about that comment. I'm now starting to believe it. My tractor runs great since I rebuilt it with one exception it keeps overheating the radiator, which is brand new along with a new water pump. I started it up, cold, and noticed that the overflow tank has bubbles coming out of the overflow line coming from the radiator. I tried to figure out what could be causing that and came to the conclusion that it must be a blown head gasket leaking from one of my cylinders to the nearest water gasket spot and then getting into the return path to the radiator. I don't know what else would cause the constant stream of bubbles to come into the over flow tank when its cold? I saw the bubbles before but the tractor was hot and had overflowed the tank and when I pulled over I noticed the bubbles but thought it was just from the hot water coming from the radiator. Does this sound logical to any of you or am I missing something. I'm getting ready to tear it apart again and probably put the old gasket back into the engine, after sealing it around the water jackets with some gasket sealer and hoping I get a better seal with my old gasket than I did with this new one. I'm open to any suggestions since I can't seem to find a new, all metal, head gasket like came from the factory.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #2  
Why did you rebuild the engine in the first place? Did it overheat? Maybe the head is warped and that is causing the leak. You shouldn"t see bubbles at any time, hot or cold so maybe there was a problem before you rebulit it. I wouldn"t use gasket sealer on a head gasket.

Those are just a few thoughts I had, sorry I don"t have any answers.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #3  
Sounds like a gasket leak OR a cracked head. I assume when you had it all apart you did the smart thing and took the head to machine shop to have it checked for cracks and have them deck it so it was flat? No gasket is going to seal on an uneven surface, especially a headgasket.

They make a head gasket checker which is a tube that stick into the top of the radiator with a special fluid in it. The air you're talking about will pass through this fluid and turn a different color if hydrocarbons are present indicating a head gasket/ cracked head or cylinder wall etc.. Sounds like yours is pretty self evident though, you shouldnt get a constat stream of air out of the cooling system after its been bled properly.

I also dont think its smart to reuse any old gaskets either, especially a head gasket. I would first confirm you have a combustion gas leak into the cooling system, take the head off again and have it magnafluxed to make sure its not cracked and then have the head checked for flatness. You also need to check the block deck for flatness as well.

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #4  
like wise would'nt reuse that old head gasket nor would I use sealant.where'd you buy the HG?I bought mine from HOYE and have had zero problems...russ

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #5  
You have the antifreeze mixture too strong. Go to any dealer and they will print out the proper 25% antifreeze requirements. If you mix the antifreexe any stronger the tractor will overheat. sounds crazy but it is true. I have a 1510 Yanmar. My 1510 Yanmar overheated when I first bought it several years ago. I had the radiator boiled out. It did not help. I checked with the dealer and that is what they showed me.
change the antifreeze solution to 25% or less. It will nolonger overheat.

don myers
615 071-9405

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #6  
Good thing yer in Florida......that 25% will get you a ruined block up here in Ohio. don-ohio :)^)

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #7  
You have the antifreeze mixture too strong. Go to any dealer and they will print out the proper 25% antifreeze requirements. If you mix the antifreexe any stronger the tractor will overheat. sounds crazy but it is true. I have a 1510 Yanmar. My 1510 Yanmar overheated when I first bought it several years ago. I had the radiator boiled out. It did not help. I checked with the dealer and that is what they showed me.
change the antifreeze solution to 25% or less. It will nolonger overheat.

don myers

615 071-9405

Some one gave you some realy bad information. Antifreeze that needs to be diluted should be deluted 50% distilled water to antifreeze. It is easy to check with a tester.

Puckgrinder85 You are talking about a combustion leak detector. Not only will it show bubbles but the liquid will change colors if combustion is detected.
Bill

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #8  
Well I am a mechanic of 40yrs. YOU NEVER MIX LESS THAN 50/50 ANTIFREEZE OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS......Don't know what dealer PARAPOWER went to but he is definitely not correct in his telling him to mix 25% coolant and 75% water... You have a leaking head gasket I am sure. Have the head checked out and get a new gasket to put in" NEVER USE AN OLD HEAD GASKET"... Hope you get your issue resolved. Keep us informed...

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #9  
Make sure your fan belt is tight too

/ Tractor overheating head gasket problem? #10  
Some one gave you some realy bad information. Antifreeze that needs to be diluted should be deluted 50% distilled water to antifreeze. It is easy to check with a tester.

Puckgrinder85 You are talking about a combustion leak detector. Not only will it show bubbles but the liquid will change colors if combustion is detected.
Bill

I know, I have one :D Most of them work for diesels and all kinds of fuels, but that needs to be confirmed when you buy it, i know mine does, im sure most if not all do.

You shouldnt have to mix coolant thin with antifreeze to make it work. The system is designed with cooling capacity in mind. If overheating is a problem 50/50 mix should never be the issue. Antifreeze should also raise the boiling point of the water, as well as lower its freezing point, to an extent. Coolant puking out of a radiator neck doesnt mean its overheating either, but it will likely cause overheating eventually.