TC45 4WD tires question...

/ TC45 4WD tires question... #1  

gooffer69

Tractor
TZ18DA, TC45DA
Well got lucky my TC45 came with a spare rim and tire for the front but after 3300h it's getting a little old all 3 front tires have seen their best times... 8 x 16 Titan's... well I have loads of 16" tires kicking around one set is a 8ply 7.50 x 16 the other a 10ply super traction 245/75 r16 well I figured the 7.50's would be smaller then the titans and the 245 slightly bigger... Turns out the Titan original 8x16 are by far the smallest....

photo.JPG

See picture titan left, 245/75 then the 7.50's far right.... Now the question if I change both front tires to the same size will I screw something up ?...I know it's a no no with many things 4wd but since the original front tires 8x16 are worn down at least over 1 inch ???

/ TC45 4WD tires question...
May be question wasn't clear enough...

the original Titan 8 x 16 should be 8+8+16 tall... 32 inch....

well the 7.50x16 are taller

and the 245/75 are even taller

Now logically the 7.50's should be 1 inch shorter but they are actually 1 inch taller... now if I choose them will I have hydrostatic transmission problems with the rear wheels ?

I assume originally the Titan's were taller then the 7.50 but now that they have worn down well....

lastly my #1 choice would be the 245's they are wide which would help with the loaders weight and leave less marks... but again the OD is bigger...

thoughts anyone... my rears are fine and don't need to be changed...

/ TC45 4WD tires question... #3  
With any MFWD (mechanical 4wd) there will inevitably be some disparity between the actual front and rear drive ratios, thus warnings about pavement-driving in 4WD (as with your truck) and usually any time you're using the FEL. You'll always save front tire wear by runing in 2WD whenever possible. Fronts have less traction and will typically wear the most. With any mismatch of OEM sizes (diameters) the matter will be compounded. Stay as close to original size(s) as possible. It's not the transmission that will take the punishment, but rather every other component in your driveline. The less traction you have at any given time the less it matters .....

/ TC45 4WD tires question... #4  
With any MFWD (mechanical 4wd) there will inevitably be some disparity between the actual front and rear drive ratios, thus warnings about pavement-driving in 4WD (as with your truck) and usually any time you're using the FEL. You'll always save front tire wear by runing in 2WD whenever possible. Fronts have less traction and will typically wear the most. With any mismatch of OEM sizes (diameters) the matter will be compounded. Stay as close to original size(s) as possible. It's not the transmission that will take the punishment, but rather every other component in your driveline. The less traction you have at any given time the less it matters .....

....what he said. LOL :thumbsup:

/ TC45 4WD tires question... #5  
My Ford/NH/import HST's front and rear 'driveshafts' don't differentiate front to rear (no 'Ferguson System'..) and tires are sized for the f/r 'axle' ratios provided. I apologize if I gave the OP any bad specific advice or say speculated (however clumsily) that mixing f/r tire diameters might be no biggie on his TC45(?). At the risk of my comments being only food for thought I'm hoping he'll get constructive help before I jump out of a window.

I don't use 4WD on pavement, but always do when plowing snow over gravel or digging/loading there (7308 FEL). Fronts spin first at least half the time short of stalling out (f/r turfs vs r1s on the 2wds). I don't see changing f/r tire diameter relationships much from OEM specs as positive enough to recommend it without knowing the specifics of the OP's system, or as a general rule. But you guys knew I'm a d__ tea-totaling Yankee, don't wear camo unless I'm hunting, don't dip snuff, don't read MAXIM, and would rather drive my car than my truck .... and I have fans all over. (Not girls 'cuz I don't wear Axe.) Thanks, pedal pusher & 'we', wherever you are! ;) btw: If you wanna borrow this...
here.jpg

'Bogging' and other wheel-spinning scenarios are admittedly a whole 'nother category where "The less traction you have at any given time the less it matters ....." JMHO, guys ...:)

(I offer my own experience & observations only to stimulate forum discussion perhaps useful to the OP, and never made a living by knowing when to smile. If hormonally imperative, I'll find other threads to pop into and judge the qualifications and communication skills of total strangers from the bully pulpit as needed, .... without contributing to them, if that's the gig. Beware the information police!!!):rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / TC45 4WD tires question... #6  
There is no such thing as a perfect setup because even on a 4wd car or truck with equal sizes all around, manufacturing tolerances, differences in tire pressure, etc., have to be made up somewhere. Non-articulated tractors have smaller tires up front with gearing to compensate but its made worse since the front and rear tires are different sizes and it is virtually impossible to hit an exact number, so designs have the fronts turning slightly faster (not rpm but actual ground speed) than the rears. The tires you show are going to make that difference a lot more so tire speed at the ground difference at the ground is going to be a lot more. It should not have an effect on your hydro - the hydro outputs to a gear train and it is in the gear train where the differences are made up. Probably more wear on the couplers in the front wheel drive shaft when you are in 4WD. If you were to have that setup cleaning snow from my yard right now - woudn't mean a thing because everything is ice and all tires are slipping all the time the tractor is moving. We have a Kubota L3000 with gel filled fronts - there is no deflection and the tires are noticeably slipping a lot all the time. It is now sitting waiting for parts because the drive shaft splines wore out along with the splines in the couplers. The parts bill is now over $500 and counting because we don't have it running yet and keep finding new problems. It was a risk filling those fronts which in effect makes them larger in diameter but they were getting snagged and going flat all the time working in the woods. The effect seems similar to what you have although being gel filled, they also added weight to the front which probably made things worse.