Craftsman air compressor switch repair

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I have a Craftsman 30 gallon oilfree compressor with what is stamped 5.5 HP motor. The air pressure switch started leaking so yesterday I went to Sears to price a new switch. I had priced it online at $129 not including shipping or tax charges. The Sears guy knew it was expensive so when I told him it was a 1998 year model he suggested to just replace it. A high volume one of about 11.2 CFM @90 PSI with 30 gal tank would be $599 so I decided to check the F&R store Atwoods right down the street. They had a 220v one with 13.5 or so CFM with 60 gallon tank for $469 (Magnum Force made in China) and the salesman wasnt real happy with Atwoods decision to drop the Puma brand and go with Magnum Force. Anyway while looking for parts need to hook up a 220v compressor, I mentioned that all my current one needed was pressure switch but Sears want over $130 for one. He said we have pressure switches for compressors. We checked it out and they had a Magnum force brand and a Square D brand and the price was outrageously CHEAP @ 19 bucks including tax. I figured what the heck for less than $20 I will give it a look.
Today I removed the old switch and started looking at what I would need to put the new one on. The Old Sears had 4 each 1/4" NPT female outlet plus the 1/8" tubing connection for the pressure sensor. The new one had ONE each 1/4" NPT + the 1/8" tubing fitting. I decided that I needed to buy 2 tees and a nipple to make it work which would give me the 4 outlets, but I ended up needing 3 tees and 3 nipple and used the old original nipple to boot to make it work. When finally, after 2 trips to the hardware store and $10 worth of parts, I got it all put together, it worked perfectly. The switch cut off at exactly 130 PSI as it was supposed to. So in the end< I saved $110 by not using the sears switch. There is absolutely no reason for them to charge 110 bucks more for a pressure control switch than a standard aftermarket one.

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #2  
Your ingenuity would have made my day. Nice goin'.

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair
I was pretty happy walking out with that switch for less than $20 when I was preparing to spend $500 for a replacement. Now if the rest of it just lasts another 15 years I dont think I would replace it. I likely wont be doing a lot of work at 80 years of age.

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #4  
It seems these days most places want to make their fortunes on each item they sell.
The good thing, lot's of those places are shutting doors to many locations and some folding completely.
Sears is closing many locations, to stay afloat.
I remember my Grandfolks Sears catalogs, not many storefronts then and items were shipped cheaply, were exactly as described and built to last.
Ain't we supposed to learn from the past??? :jaded:

Good on 'ya, for the redneck ingenuity!

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #5  
I remember my Grandfolks Sears catalogs, not many storefronts then and items were shipped cheaply, were exactly as described and built to last.
Ain't we supposed to learn from the past??? :jaded:

Good on 'ya, for the redneck ingenuity!

Receiving the new catalogs ( Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Ward etc) seemed almost as fun as Christmas itself. I can remember spending hours pouring over each new one and almost drooling on the tool,knife,gun and minibike sections.......ahhh, those were truly the good 'ol days!!

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #6  
I repaired a portable pancake sear compressor with a Square D pump controller about 9 years ago also.
$19.00 at Ace hardware.
Glad to hear your goodnews.
Tom

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #7  
I had an older Craftsman compressor that had it's own goofy style pressure switch manifold that cracked. It turned out that you couldn't get any more and wasn't something you could replace because it had a check valve with some not standard threads going into the tank. I had to find someone who could weld better than I so I could replace the bung in the tank. Not sure why Sears does the odd ball things it does but at least you were able to get around their design while saving money.

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #8  
I learned a long time ago not to purchase large items from Sears. I bought a power washer there and used it maybe 3 times before the pump went out. I tried to buy a replacement pump for it, but the pump cost was more than I paid for the whole PW, and they did not offer a repair kit for it. I bought a new PW, but it didn't come from Sears. I do, however, like a lot of Sears/Craftsman tools, but I choose them selectively. Glad to hear you fixed yours and saved a ton of money too!

/ Craftsman air compressor switch repair #10  
You were smart to just get an off the shelf repair part and McGiver it to fit. Sears really can't compete in the repair parts market, particularly on what is a commodity. Square D has been around forever and as bazillion pressure switches out there. Sears has to buy from someone, then mark it up, cross list to their own part numbers, catalogs, etc. etc. etc.