Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6 #1  

don45640

Gold Member
Tractor
918 allis-chalmers
Okay.......the other day,while changing out my Tractor/loader/ backhoe's antifreeze,which was a problem in itself finding the proper antifreeze for silicone ring sealed wet-liners,I caused a problem unknown to me at that time.
Since I have solved it because I'm right here able to troubleshoot, I thought maybe I'd run the symptom by everyone and let them take stabs at the solution.
While taking out 2 plugs I THOUGHT were antifreeze block drain plugs,I had to put tremendous torque on them to remove them.Turned out they were only blank crankcase plugs.
Well,I found the right plug hidden behind the air-bleed plunger,so I moved the plunger by taking the fuel line loose.
Now while doing this hi-torque wrenching(hadda use my leg to move the breaker bar),I put a small dent in the body of the fuel filter which is a spin-on NAPA #3354 BTW. I went ahead and plungered the air out of the system flling up the fuel filter.
With cold weather imminent, I wanted to start the backhoe and get the antifreeze circulated and top it up completely.
So, I proceeded to try to start the engine and even used a little ether,but to no effect.Only thing I got was white smoke,a lot of it! LOL!
Okay,what would cause all that white smoke and a no-start condition in a machine that always starts like it's summertime? don-ohio

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6 #2  
Sounds like you are air locked. I would loosen the fuel filter and wait till the fuel runs over then you may have to loosen the fuel line into an injector to let the air out. Don't you just hate it when something is fine till you fix it !:laughing:

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6
HaHaHaHa! Yes,GC! I do hate it when one problem leads to another. That is a very credible answer, and I actually got back off the tractor and bled it out again,thinking like you have that air is the culprit. You're definitely CLOSE,but I had to do something else to correct the situation. don-ohio :)^)

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6 #5  
Knock a wire loose ?

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6 #6  
HaHaHaHa! Yes,GC! I do hate it when one problem leads to another. That is a very credible answer, and I actually got back off the tractor and bled it out again,thinking like you have that air is the culprit. You're definitely CLOSE,but I had to do something else to correct the situation. don-ohio :)^)

Like change that dented fuel filter

/ Here's a brain teaser to troubleshoot! AC 2800 diesel in-line 6 #7  
Yep,Murphy! That's what it took. I had loosened the fuel filter just enough to allow air inside. Thank goodness,Heywood,it wasn't a timing thingy,or I'd been up the creek on that engine. don-ohio :)^)

Yeah,Don! I just saw what you posted.That may have worked,but I MAY have warped that filter,so I chose to run to Jackson Implement and get a new one. don-ohio :)^)